MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu 10.04 on a USB pen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just wanna try it for the funs, on a fullscreen working copy. But I don't want to install/dual boot it either. When the free CD I requested arrives, I might change.. but for now I'll stick with windows and a USB pen.

There is a lot of stuff on google, but what's the best one really?

edit: I lost my pen, can I use a 4gb microSD card (and then plug it to the usb reader)?
Unetbootin. (i think thats what its called)
Or virtualbox
Unetbootin or Linux Live usb creator
You can use your SD card as a hard drive but keep in mind they weren't designed to handle the IO of a normal hard drive so long term use isn't a good idea. Although I use my 2GB SD card for Puppy Linux (I keep it in all the time and hide it from Windows so all I need to do is boot to it instead of the hard drive) but Puppy Linux offers an option to run the whole OS in RAM and only saves to the SD card when I tell it to or at the end of the session.
alright, the installation thing loaded, but it kept saying I needed the .iso in the CD drive. If I burn an image, put it in the CDdrive, load the installation from the usb pen.. I will be conserving my windows installation, and nothing will be installed right?

edit: nvm, got it. Followed these exact same steps, and got it working: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/put-ubuntu-...g-windows/