MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Attachment permission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello frnds ,

Today i saw a lot of 404 errors in my logs. These are search engine bots trying to crawl attachment files .

Example : attachment.php?id=482

I don't want thousands of 404. It doesn't help anyone. If I tweak the permission then i will have to stop access to guests to see { not download } the attachment files. Which does not look like a good solution.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of so many 404 errors

Thanks
Add this to robots.txt

Disallow: attachment.php

Hope i helped Smile
(2010-05-15, 03:19 PM)GuruWeb Wrote: [ -> ]Add this to robots.txt

Disallow: attachment.php

Hope i helped Smile

And how is that going to help ?
Spider crawls the topic page and finds the attachment and then results in 404 error since guests are not allowed to download attachment.

makes sense ?
Sorry didnt read it properly
It shouldn't go to a 404 if guests can't view it, it should show a no permissions page. Do the attachments work when you look at them??
(2010-05-15, 05:02 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It shouldn't go to a 404 if guests can't view it, it should show a no permissions page. Do the attachments work when you look at them??

Yes they work when I look at them . Non logged in users are redirected to permission page/ login box . Spiders are getting 404 error.

Ideally it would have been much better if bots were grouped as "Bots" and not as guests.