MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Building a computer - advice/suggestions wanted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I am going to be building my first computer ever, I'm pretty excited - but I am equally as nervous about it. I was wondering if I could get any last-minute advice on it from you guys?

Here is the list of parts.
  • Everything is compatible, correct?
  • Is there anything I am missing any important PC components? (Besides a soundcard, monitor, and basic peripherals.)
  • Do you have any suggestions on any parts you see? (Keep in mind I'd like to keep my budget as close to as the current subtotal on there is)
  • Have you had any good or bad experiences and can vouch for any component you see in my list?

Remember, I'm a noob. Never built a computer before.
If you could go over my list and double check stuff for me, or if you have any tips about computer building for a noob like me - please post them in here!

Thank you guys,
Andy Smile
I'm an Intel guy myself. AMD is better for gaming; Intel is stronger at more business oriented tasks.

Your components seem to be compatible. The big things to look out for is to make sure your motherboard supports the CPU chip (duh!) and make sure you get the right kind of RAM for the motherboard.

The first thing that I noticed is that you're sticking with the heat sink that comes with the CPU. Getting a better heat sink (should cost about $50) is especially important if you want to overclock the CPU.

As far as audio goes, the motherboard has the Realtek ALC850 chipset with up to 8 channels, so that should work for you as long as you install Windows (I'd have to check hardware compatibility charts if you want *nix).

I'm not sure if the eVGA 256-P2-N516 geForce 78000GT will handle BluRay, HDDVD, or the new graphics engine in Windows Vista. A recent article in Computer World (I think it was Computer World) writes that none of the current video cards handle the DRM scheme, but most GPUs do. Windows Vista is scheduled to be released in November or December. It's your call.
Personally I can't see anything wrong with the setup. The few things I would personally check before buying are

- the true output of the PSU (some advertise a lot but with load it's a different thing....even seen a 750W PSU that turned out to be 750W peak but 250W with load)

- the noiselevels of the PSU, the CPU-fan,casefan, the Graphics-card fan and the noise-reduction capability of the case.....let's just say that I like my systems as quiet as possible..

Last but not least, you say that this is your first time ever putting a computer together...Now I don't know if this means that you've never even assembled a computer together or just never done the entire thing.....if it's the first, I would check how much extra it would be to have the shop to assemble it for you....not because I doubt your capability of getting it right, but playing around with cooling-pastes, assembling the stuff, running the cables cleanly to ensure airflow etc.....might be worth paying that extra 20$ to have it done for you.... (or whatever it costs)...

cheers,
Kimmo