MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What's the first thing you do to see if it's a good host?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, I'm looking for a reliable, cheap, powerful host. And I have quite a few nice deals, but I want to check them all out properly. Analyze them very carefully.

Any tools I can use? What's the first thing you look for in a host?

ps: I was looking for answers like this:

1. first you check this, and blablabla
2. then you should test blablabla
3. if you want blabla, you can also blabla
4. and always check blablabla

with perhaps some links, tools or articles
Check whois (http://whois.domaintools.com) first to see when the domain was registered and who owns the domain. If they are hiding their whois then don't even bother with them. Don't do business with a company that doesn't want you to know how to contact them (making a copy of the contact info will come in handy also if they change it later).

Check their nameservers/IP to see where they are hosted at and how many domains point to that IP.

Check the network speed/response (if they provide a speed test use that and a traceroute is helpful to see how many hops and how long it takes to reach their server and to see the path it takes and what bandwidth provider they are using).

READ THE TOS! Yes, read every line and make sure you are comfortable with it. There are a lot of specific things I look for but it would take more time than I have right now to list them all.

Contact their support. It doesn't matter what you ask them just ask them something to see how long it takes to get a reply and how well the reply is written (even if you ask a yes or no question if they don't provide any details don't bother with them, look for professional replies). Keep in mind that billing teams usually respond faster since it's all about money to them so try actually contacting their technical support also if possible.

Get the server specs and data center information (renting or colo?) before you sign up. If they aren't listed on the website ask their support staff.

There are dozens of other things I do but they are based on personal preference so the above are a good start. Once you've hosted for a while you'll know what else to start looking for based on your needs/preference. Wink
1) No long term contracts. If a host offers good quality and service, customers will stay on their own free will. Only hosts that lack this confidence will try to bind you for extended periods of time (6/12/24 months).

2) No unlimited crap. If you have the choice between "unlimited" hosting, which usually means hopelessly overbooked servers, and limited hosting with well defined resources, choose the limited one.

3) Good reviews. A host that offers quality usually has happy customers who leave positive reviews on various sites and blogs. Research with Google.

4) Specs that meet your requirements. Naturally even a good host is not a good host for you if they don't offer the price / space / environment you need.
I currently have my own server i not the best because i am small time but from my past "Unlimited Space" is not Unlimited there will be point where server run out space also "Unlimited Bandwidth" can be misleading i have my Bandwidth is Unlimited from my data center because it done on speed not amount data. Also alot company like hide setup fees end day it takes 5mins if that create account so really why pay $$ or ££.
Thanks guys =D I didn't expect to see this when I logged on =P But I'm glad I checked; I learned something new today
I go to a cafee and send a few large pings and see if they ban me instantly.
Haha 41, must be fun. Toungue

I just see their testimonials, although they could be fake. Its one way of getting around it.
(2010-05-17, 08:56 PM)Rozzy Wrote: [ -> ]Haha 41, must be fun. Toungue

I just see their testimonials, although they could be fake. Its one way of getting around it.

Not really. When someone attempts to hack my work, (since we have an line with a ridiculous limit of bandwidth) i send 10mb pings at the attacker every couple seconds. Within about half an hour, the hacker stops. (Guessing the ISP canceled the account Shy )