MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: If you had to write a review of MyBB what would you write?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using MyBB for over a year now and recommend it to anyone who asks which forum software they should use.

I will be writing a review about MyBB on My Blog over the next few days and am just interested to know the following:

- What first attracted you to MyBB?

- What features you like?

- Why you use it over other Forum Software?

Thanks in Advance Smile
I wanted to make a forum and had no idea how a friend started my first site for me using mybb and Ive been hooked ever since.

I like how simple it is to use, and the fact its not bloated has what you need and not what you don't.

Most other forum software is ether too bloated, overpriced or just plain crap for me.
- What first attracted you to MyBB? - I'm not sure, i wanted to create a forum and came across MyBB and have used it ever since!
- What features you like? - All! It just so easy to use, is that a feature???
- Why you use it over other Forum Software? - Its free and can be just as good as a paid forum software suite.
The look. I came a WoltLab Refugee, i needed a home. MyBB's look was great. I was easily able to find a theme that was quite the same as the one we used on the old forum.
The theming system, the plugin system, and the little tidbits that you find. Like if you click and hold a thread name you can change it. I was amazed when i found that! And clicking on the on/off buttons to mark a forum as read, loved that.

Well in all honesty, because it works Wink It did everything my Woltlab 2.X could do, for free, and more english plugins. It just makes sense.

(Btw i don't give permission for this to be republished, i would rewrite if wanted(
MyBB, the Chuck Norris of Forum softwares alike.

MyBB being Open Source, if anything. Had to move a forum community to a new platform, so all available / well known forum systems were taken into consideration. The solution being Open Source Software was the only condition.

Usability, for both end users (comfortable and easy to use) as well as board admins (easy to maintain, easy to extend with plugins).

Other solutions either lacked the usability, or had showstopper bugs such as lack of UTF-8 support. However I think it's fair to mention that MyBB, too, is not the perfect solution. It has its fair share of bugs and issues. So I'm not using it over other software for any particular reason apart from that I have not found anything better yet. I'm not a fan of MyBB and do not favour it in any way, so should others step up and present a better solution, I'll use it.

In short term, I guess this means I'll stick with MyBB, however in long term there may come a time when I have to choose to either stick with MyBB 1.6 or switch to something else. Depends on what kind of alternatives appear in the long term.
Mybb > all

prove me wrong

That could be my Review
Thanks Guys, you have given me some great ideas Smile