MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I take my forum to a new server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am thinking of changing my server as I am not happy with them in the short time I have been there. They have had two outages where I cannot access my forum in a matter of 4 days. Not good enough in my books.
What I would like to know is how to I go about taking my forum with me? I have it set to my own domain name so I'm hoping its not that much of a drama.
Oh and if anyone can recommend a good one....I'm all ears!
Im using limedomains , very cheap and pretty good. Just backup your database and all your files from your ftp server. Goto your new host setup a database, upload ur backed up database from your old server to your new server.
So I'm using filezilla as my FTP but I'm not familiar with backing things up with it. I am very new to all of this (as in a couple of weeks) but have just been so frustrated at the lack of support on the current server.
Ok back on track.....my server has a backup thing but I wouldn't trust it to back up everything. Do you (or anyone else) know how to do a back up on my FTP? I know this is not related to mybb but so far this forum is the best place I've been able to get any help. And I'm not treated like a simpleton b/c I don't know anything.
Its ok. I have managed to d/l a back up from my server. Now its just a matter of moving house ...so to speak. thanks for the help.
(2010-05-20, 12:46 PM)dunlop03 Wrote: [ -> ]Im using limedomains , very cheap and pretty good. Just backup your database and all your files from your ftp server. Goto your new host setup a database, upload ur backed up database from your old server to your new server.

I would not recommend them, I've used them in the past i do not like their support.

However i use BigWetFish Hosting their support and service is next to none, I've been with them for years and all my support tickets have been answered within 12 hours. Smile
Well it must have been years ago when u were with limedomains, they now have an amazing live support , same as that 12 hours max. Brilliant service.
I still have a domain with limedomains. about a year i think.
@mysticalvampire: You don't backup your files via FileZilla. You do this via your host's control panel.

It's recommended you backup your entire home directory, and all your MySQL databases. If you have emails, they might not get transferred.

EDIT: I see you've managed to backup your files, good work! Smile
Thanks everyone for your help. The server I am with is still down and I still have not had any help in what happened to things when I installed Coppermine.
I will take my business elsewhere over the next day or two. I had a look into limedomains but I know my domain name server is a little cheaper. I will also look into Bigwetfish. I am not sure on the service of the one I know here in Australia.
Again thanks for the support. I just hope I have backed up all my files properly!
Sorry to be a bother but I have chosen a new server and I just wanted to know if I have done things right in uploading my files. I have just uploaded the file that says "forum" to my new server. Is this correct?
do you mean a directory or a backup file called forum?
Pages: 1 2