MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blocking gmail from registering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If I add *@gmail.com to the disallowed email address list, will that ban all members currently registered with an gmail address?

I am currently getting hit hard with spam registrations from gmail addresses. They are all in the same format but the IPs are completely different. I just want to block the gmail.com from registering but only for a few days...

The emails are all like [email protected] and [email protected] (they always have 'madison' in the name)
help?
That's correct, just add *@gmail.com
So this won't block people who are currently registered with a Gmail address?
Block the IP range.

Blocking a major email service like gmail is a bit stupid imho.
IP range won't work, the IP's are completely different from each other.

And blocking Gmail from registering for 24 hours worked, the spammers have gone away and haven't tried registering since. So it wasn't really "stupid."
I think this is stupid.
But you have to block:
*@gmail.*
*@googlemail.*
*@google.*
What you're doing here is blocking one of the most common email domains in use, meaning you could block a lot of potential legitimate users. If spam is an issue why not just get them to validate the email address?? A bot isn't going to do that, so it wouldn't be able to post anything.
Nice of the MyBB support team to use the terminology "stupid." Also, did you quality support professionals read my post? I said I blocked it TEMPORARILY.

Lastly, I set it to email activation and the accounts were being activated.
My colleagues and I will say only our opinion. What do you do, ultimately, is your affair. Finally I gave you also helped. And I do not think you can ban someone his own opinion. Finally, we tell you not know that you must do it that way.
Not saying who is right or wrong but i know of a number of very popular forums that do not allow gmail, msn etc and require you to use the email given to you by your ISP. Many have done it to combat spam and problem users who have a habit of evading bans/suspensions by using a proxy service to avoid IP bans and unlimited free email accounts. These forums are doing quite well i might add and has not slowed down growth at all. Smile
Pages: 1 2