MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb license question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am currently in the midst of developing a new cms project. I would like to include MyBB as the forum solution which will be fully integrated into the cms.

Does mybb licensing allow me to integrate mybb into my cms package?

- My cms will be free and open source.
I think you can only use MyBB as the forum software if you release your cms project under the same license.
I suppose i could of added the license i am using is a "GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPLv3)" which is the same as MyBB.

It would be allowed, I believe.
Yes you can as long use the GPL v3 license or a one the compatible(which I'm no really sure what they are but you said you plan to use the GPL anyway) licenses for the CMS.
Great, solves my forum issues! Thanks for the info everyone Smile
You'd be better off doing this as a plugin or addon so you can do your own license. And also it would just be nicer sofware if it was a plugin. MyBB has just about all the functions and classes you need to hook into for running a strong CMS.
You don't have to release your software for free if you don't want to, but you do have to maintain the GNU GPL license for MyBB (although your software does not have to use the same exact license, but a compatible one).
I believe Kujoe's message is slightly misleading. I'm not a lawyer, but if I understand correctly, if you want to release your software in its own non-GPL-compatible license, you must package your software separate from MyBB.

You can sell your GPL-licensed product, but the buyer has the possibility to redistribute it freely (according to the GPL license).
Ok...just to clarify :

I can distribute mybb with my software package "if" we plan on using the same gpl license? Correct?

Again...this will be open source and FREE!

Thanks
Pages: 1 2