MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: why ICQ, MSN, AIM still in profile and not FB, Twitter, etc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I don't know anyone that still uses AIM, MSN or Yahoo chat much anymore, let alone ICQ.

So why are those "Additional Contact Options" still present but there is no core support for Facebook, Twitter, MySpace (if anyone uses that anymore) and other social networking sites that are more popular?
Because it's easy enough just to add a custom profile field for it.

Sure these services are popular now but they might not be in the future, no point going out of the way to make them "core".
but AIM, MSN, Yahoo and ICQ are still popular? what is the point of maintaining those bits of code and fields and such if no one is going to use them.
You just contradicted yourself massively.
no I did not. at one time, those message systems were popular and all the forum software supported them. now they are not popular and other things have replaced them in our social communications, so why not support the new stuff?

if it is a contradiction, why is MyBB, or any forum software for that matter, still supporting the old stuff?
There are probably no people using ICQ, but people still use MSN, and AIM like me. Why should we get removed the privilege of adding our contact details for these services??

Also, MSN is very popular, so you've made a completely false statement there.
I understand what pavemen is trying to say. AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, ect are still used by many people, the thing is though that sites like Facebook, Twitter, even MySpace are being used by EVEN MORE people and it seems that they aren't being incorporated into MyBB a little more then they could be.
But a custom profile field would suffice, how's core integration going to be any different other than a direct link?
i realize this could all be done with a plugin and at this rate i will make my own. but to answer your question, its because core integration would not take away from the number of custom fields that could then be used for site/forum specific profile data and it would be consistent across all the MyBB forums. plus you can then incorporate the data into templates and images automatically.

MSN might still be popular, but I still have yet to see it in wide spread use these days like current social networking sites. of the forums i particpate in, i rarely see the AIM, MSN and Yahoo buttons linked in a users posts/profile and no ICQ links in the past several years
Can I just ask if you reside in the US?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6