MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Subscription e-mails are sent to "\"\" <>"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all,

I have a quick question pertaining to subscription e-mails. I have my e-mail configured properly to send the messages to users for subscriptions, and the users are receiving notification. However, in the "To" field when the user gets the e-mail, the user's name is replaced with the characters ""\"\" <>"" I've checked the "email_subscription" variable inside the languages/messages category and the variable is set to "{1}" which is what it was set at yesterday when everything was working. The only thing I've changed in the system since yesterday was enabling SEO. Could there be a correlation or is this coincidence? Does anyone have any suggestions to what I might try first? Thanks!
Disable the SEO plugin and test again , might be conflicting with it .
Two corrections to my last post......

I originally said the characters were in the "To" field. They are actually showing up in the "From" field. The messages sent from the forum are apparently being sent from someone by the name of \"\" <>. LOL

Second, I forgot to mention that I have already tried disabling/enabling SEO and I get the same results. This wouldn't be a big deal, but these messages are likely going to get tossed in someone's junk mail folder when they get it.

I'm going to try copying over my backup .htaccess file and see what that does.
Ask your host to disable magic_quotes if that's enabled. Not sure what problem you are having, but disabling magic_quotes could be a start.
Quote:Ask your host to disable magic_quotes if that's enabled. Not sure what problem you are having, but disabling magic_quotes could be a start.

I'll look into that - thanks for the pointer. The weird thing is though, it was working fine until today.
Another interesting point - all e-mails sent by the forum are working properly regardless except for the subscribed thread messages. So, it has to be something to do with the message handler in the e-mail_subscription. Which file is this information stored in, and where is it located? Thanks!
[Image: magic.jpg]

Looks like magic_quotes isn't the problem. Any other ideas?

As mentioned earlier, this situation only occurs when MyBB sends out messages for thread subscriptions. Anything else and the process works normally. So far I have...

1.) Disabled/reenabled SEO with various settings. No change.
2.) Moved several files from my backup over from yesterday since it was working at that time - no change.
3.) Verified magic_quotes was disabled
4.) Gone through ALL of my mail client and server setups. Sending mail from client to client through the server works as it is supposed to.
5.) Looked for hours through any possible setting within the AdminCP that I may have typed something wrong. I paid particular attention to the General Configuration and Mail Settings sections, along with any of the template settings. Can't find anything wrong.
6.) Attempted several automated responses by MyBB. They all work normally EXCEPT thread subscriptions.

NOTE - you can subscribe to a CATEGORY and it will go through normally. But, subscribing to a single thread is what's causing problems. Where in the heck can I look to fix this? It's driving me crazy!
LOL - now they are being sent from ""<>
OK, let's try it this way.

The forum is still sending out messages being labeled as sent from "<>", but it's only occurring randomly and it occurs more often than working properly. And, this only happens when MyBB sends messages out for new message replies - nothing else. I took the SMTP settings that I'm using for MyBB and set them up on my local machine here for testing and cannot duplicate the problem so I'm fairly certain that it's not the SMTP server itself.

Examining the headers I noticed something interesting. Here is a copy of the "X" headers from the messages that are addressed correctly:

X-En-Origoutip: 10.20.18.5
X-En-Impsid: S1Pp1e00506Zqne011PpSA
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: MyBB
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
X-En-Authuser: [email protected]
Sender: [email protected]
X-En-Origip: 66.96.128.63
X-En-Orighost: unknown

Here is a header that is being addressed to "<>" :

X-En-Origoutip: 10.20.12.144
X-En-Impsid: S1X51e00a36UUX6011X5hE
X-En-Info: U=ipw.r1100s P=/forum/newreply.php
X-En-Cgiuser: ipw.r1100s
X-En-Cgipath: /forum/newreply.php
X-En-Origip: 98.16.7.119
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Msmail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: MyBB
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
X-En-Timestamp: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 21:30:05 -0400
Sender: "" <>

As you can see, these two headers are completely different. The latter mentions the newreply.php file, while the other one does not. That is the most significant difference that I can see. Messages are being sent under the same circumstances, using the same equipment and same configuration each time. I cannot tie the instances of incorrect functioning to any specific user, time of day, size of message, phase of the moon, etc.

What in the hell is going on here? At first I wanted to call out on the SMTP server, but I can't duplicate it at my computer under the same circumstances. It HAS to be something that MyBB is doing, and I think it may be tied to that newreply.php file. Can someone suggest something inside of that file that I can check for this?
Check the following things:
  • Your running the latest version of MyBB
  • Your using PHP 5+
  • Try uploading fresh copies of ./inc/class_mailhandler.php and ./inc/massmail.php
Thanks Tim!

I am running the latest version of MyBB. The PHP version that I have the server running is 5.2 +.

If I throw a new copy of those files that you mentioned out there, is that going to affect any of the settings I currently have? In other words, are these files that are written to?

Thanks!
No, the only files that are written to are ./inc/config.php and ./inc/settings.php and they can be recovered easily if deleted. The only time reuploading files would cause a problem is if you've made edits to them.
Thanks Matt.

Well, I put fresh copies out there and I'm still having the same issue. I can send messages all day long through that SMTP server from my machine with the same settings as the board is using and they go through as they should. Are there any other ideas? I really appreciate this because I'm afraid that these subscription messages will just end up in someone's junk folder.
Pages: 1 2