MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: $metadescription $metakeywords edit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,

i'm a newbie to mybb and i'm trying some different thinks. Like some plugins on SEO and Meta tags.
- SEO Links! (1.1 Beta 1)
- Dynamic Metas (1.1)
- Disable portal.php Plugin (1.0)

Now i've saw that those mods olive up the html header, some tags are printed multiple times, so i changed that on:
Home ยป Template SetsDiff Report: headerinclude

Now i want to change the var $metadescription and $metakeywords.
Where can i change those?
Why do you not simply use the Google SEO plugin for MyBB made by frostschutz? It's under support and it works like a charm.
the one thing his plugin does not do is add meta tags to the index and portal pages, as well as a few others.
(2010-05-25, 08:04 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]the one thing his plugin does not do is add meta tags to the index and portal pages, as well as a few others.

These things require just 2 simple template edits (index and portal).
(2010-05-25, 08:09 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-25, 08:04 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]the one thing his plugin does not do is add meta tags to the index and portal pages, as well as a few others.

These things require just 2 simple template edits (index and portal).

not really, because the Google SEO pluin does not replace existing meta tags, so you end up with multiple meta descriptions. I am not sure how this would impact SEO results.
(2010-05-25, 08:34 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]not really, because the Google SEO pluin does not replace existing meta tags, so you end up with multiple meta descriptions. I am not sure how this would impact SEO results.

Huh? I don't understand.

Google SEO adds meta descriptions to threads (and forums?) but not index or portal. So you add meta descriptions to the index and portal templates. There's no multiple meta descriptions?
becuase mybb uses header and headerinclude templates that are used by all pages. so if i edit those templates (where meta tags belong) they will also show up in the pages google seo plugin adds meta tags
i admit that i could go edit all the pages i have that are not modified by google seo, but it is so much simpler to edit the headerinclude template
the headerinclude is not the right place for meta description though (unless dynamically placed there by a plugin). if you want the meta description for a page to be unique (and it should be) you have no choice but to edit the main template for it... that's just how MyBB's template system works
i know, i am lazy i suppose. with a lot of pages that are outside the main mybb files, but fully integrated with them, it would be nice to have a single place to edit.

can't have everything...
(2010-05-25, 07:43 PM)querschlaeger Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you not simply use the Google SEO plugin for MyBB made by frostschutz? It's under support and it works like a charm.

Oke, a big discussion.. but without the correct answer Toungue

Well as i got the tip google SEO plug-in, i will try that one on a clean mybb version. ty for the replays Smile

I've found out that normally those info can be found in settings.php, but those variable aren't stored there any more. I think the plug-in changed those
Pages: 1 2