MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: First theme, opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You can see the theme here: not available anymore.

I don't have a fancy name yet.

I'm looking for suggestions and criticisms midway through my progress. I'm learning as I go about theming and I'm not sure if all my techniques are proper or ideal. Example: I found that using position relative and modifying top and left to be wonderful with a slight problem (which I can just fake as intentional).

The images not in the default theme were created by me fyi but inspired from sites I've visited.

Basically it a modification to the original theme. No plugins used but I'd like to be able to create a interface in the admincp to add/remove links from the sidebar. Or maybe if I could just have an html box in in the admincp which inserts into the sidebox.

My biggest concern is the width. I'm not looking for a large audience for my site so I'm not as concerned about those with lower then 1200 but even still I browse a lot of sites in a non-maxed window.

If you guys don't think its awful, I'd really like to offer it on this site for free.
I like it, but the colour combination could be better. Maybe something darker. I don't know. I like it a lot though.
I like it but at the moment is like the default one
(2010-05-29, 05:18 AM)Trinit Wrote: [ -> ]I like it but at the moment is like the default one

^ This. Smile
Main reason why I've stuck so much to the default theme so far is because I really don't want to remake all the buttons however I'll look into how I can further style the board. I'm glad those of you like the few changes I've made so far.

What do you guys think of the panel being at the top?

Also, I really didn't know where to start in theme development until I heard of the firebug plugin for firefox, it is awesome!
The panel being at the top is fine.
Problems:
The padding on the container is iffy.. :\
& the css shadow on the container is a bit choppy on the corners.
Its good for a first though.
If you're going to keep the edges so sharp than I recommend you to turn it into a dark gamers theme. There is not much to say besides that as you only changed the layout.
(2010-05-29, 02:24 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]If you're going to keep the edges so sharp than I recommend you to turn it into a dark gamers theme. There is not much to say besides that as you only changed the layout.

I don't see why gamer themes need to be dark. I'm a sucker for lighter themes because I feel they allow for more productivity. With that said though, I do need to change the images. I was lazy, even though I originally created the shadow as a alpha gradient, I was lazy when converting to png's and ended up loosing the alpha.

I've started to redo the site with alpha, its gonna look messed up for the time being but it will be nice when I can change the overall color at will.

Also, some of the base theme's images need to be changed since they have bits of white around the edge.
(2010-05-30, 07:22 PM)Chrissj Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-29, 02:24 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]If you're going to keep the edges so sharp than I recommend you to turn it into a dark gamers theme. There is not much to say besides that as you only changed the layout.

I don't see why gamer themes need to be dark. I'm a sucker for lighter themes because I feel they allow for more productivity. With that said though, I do need to change the images. I was lazy, even though I originally created the shadow as a alpha gradient, I was lazy when converting to png's and ended up loosing the alpha.

I've started to redo the site with alpha, its gonna look messed up for the time being but it will be nice when I can change the overall color at will.

Also, some of the base theme's images need to be changed since they have bits of white around the edge.
The sharp edges just reminded me of those "dark gamer" themes. Light themes are usually cleaner created more in detail and the sharp edges don't really fit in with that.
really good yust only change the thead color