MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Apple says nono to the GPL.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay apple, you can make me learn objective C, take away flash, but you cannot ever take away my GPL V2!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/0...th-gpl.ars

COME ON, YOU KILLING YOUR OWN MARKET. God, apple are idiots, they have good products but mess up on larger scales then Microsoft.

Edit: Yes i'm overreacting but they are annoying me, they are gonna die out soon. >_<
Very interesting
GPL sucks. I hate it.
GPL is possibly become less popular. I see a real problem when a movement aimed at freedoms is more concerned about free. The BSD license is really one of the few remaining ones that adhere to the principle that the code is free.

GPL Nazi's are out in full force this week.

Good read though.
(2010-05-31, 08:25 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]GPL is possibly become less popular. I see a real problem when a movement aimed at freedoms is more concerned about free. The BSD license is really one of the few remaining ones that adhere to the principle that the code is free.

GPL Nazi's are out in full force this week.

Good read though.

I don't care about the license really, i'm just angry that apple is forcing people to release apps under a different license.
Apple are getting way too greedy. Why do they think people jailbreak...
The GPL (or LGPL), for any form of locked down system like game consoles or iPhones, is an impracticable license anyway since the lack of dynamic linking means that you cannot make anything without having to also GPL (or LGPL) your own code. Doesn't make for good commercial use now does it.
I just wonder what the Android license is?

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/...-gplv2.ars

Funny enough that link is from the same website as the OP posted.

ASL might be my new best friend.

Quote:Permissive licenses like the ASL and BSD license are preferred by many companies because such licenses make it possible to use open-source software code without having to turn proprietary enhancements back over to the open source software community. These licenses encourage commercial adoption of open-source software because they make it possible for companies to profit from investing in enhancements made to existing open-source software solutions. That potential for proprietary investment on top of an open stack is most likely what inspired Google to adopt the Apache Software License for its mobile platform. Availability of Android under the ASL will ensure that a broader number of companies will be able to adopt the platform and build on top of it without having to expose the inner workings of proprietary technologies that give them a competitive advantage.

This is REALLY interesting.

Quote:It is important to note that the ASL is only being applied to the assortment of user-space platform components that make up Android. The kernel itself is still licensed under the GPLv2, and third-party software that runs on top of the platform can be distributed under pretty much any license, including commercial and copyleft licenses. It is also important to note that, although the ASL was not compatible with previous versions of the GPL, it is entirely compatible with the GPLv3. This means that code distributed under the ASL can be incorporated into GPLv3 software. As a result, developers can choose to distribute Android derivatives under the GPLv3 in order to ensure that further development on top of their own enhancements remains open.

Essentially this means MyBB could choose to force any plugins or themes posted here be GPLv3 and still be compatible with ASL if it was the actual MyBB license. That IMHO is the best of all worlds. I hope MyBB looks into this option. Again ASL is a very respected OSI approved license. Who can argue using the same license as Google and Apache?
Apache has to sell its soul like that, because otherwise, the commercial types would just be using another web server. It's a problem you face with things that are easily replaceable such as the GNU C library or the Apache web server (both are standardized somehow, and several proprietary alternatives exist).

If you have the choice between a proprietary application that builds on top of a proprietary stack, and a proprietary application that builds on top of an open source free software stack, the second one is the lesser evil, so you may opt to go for that even if you dislike proprietary.

I don't think it applies to MyBB though - sure, there are other forum softwares. But each forum software is different somehow, it's not a standardized you can just take and replace with something else (otherwise there'd be no need for converters or merge systems). Choosing such a license and thus making way for a proprietary CommercialMyBB clone whose enhancements (if any) don't go back into MyBB would be a huge step backwards.

As for Apple, it's called jailbreak for a reason. They don't give you any freedom at all. No way I'm ever going to buy a device like that.
Apple is a really tight up company and they like to keep as much secret and to their selves as they can. This move doesn't surprise me at all.
Pages: 1 2