MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Odd string appearing on index
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When you first load my forum, located here, you will notice an odd string of characters
Quote:

I've vigorously searched the templates, but cannot find it. That lead me to searching the index.php file (seems to only happen when loading the index).
Still no luck. Anyone have any ideas where else I can search? Or what may be causing it?
This started to happen to me since some weeks , but i just noticed 2 days ago
I searched in the forums with no results..

+1 to this problem
After googling, I found it has something to do with the language files and utf-8 encoding
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=275353

So I guess I'm off to check those
Make sure your language files are saved without a BOM.
And how would I do that?
The BOM (Byte-Order Mark) indicates whether a string is little-endian or big-endian. It is completely useless in UTF-8. Do NOT edit PHP files in Notepad, as it will add the BOM and mess things up. Instead, use Notepad++ or some other editor and save it using "UTF-8 without BOM" as the encoding.
I usually do use notepad++, but I wasn't aware of the BOM thing. So how do I go about finding the php file that is causing the string? Would I have to open each file and save each one as you described?
well I would suggest you to save your Index first, I say that not cause I know what your problem is but why NOT just give it a try since this problem is happening to you ONLY in the Index?
Yep, that fixed it.
Thanks to everyone that helped.
You learn something new everyday!!!