MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anything against reseller hosting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've noticed that people here often seem to be criticized for having a reseller hosting site. I'm just curious if that's just me or does anyone have something against providing a reseller hosting service?
It's fine as long as you aren't charging more than the parent host.
most people just oversell, and noone here likes oversellers. or overpriced plans, 'tis all. you could host my sites in a banana tree for all i care as long as it works and is affordable.

not.
I provide reseller accounts at createbb, and I think resellers should be able to make a small profit, but I agree some resellers are just greedy Smile
(2010-06-08, 08:52 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]most people just oversell, and noone here likes oversellers. or overpriced plans, 'tis all. you could host my sites in a banana tree for all i care as long as it works and is affordable.

not.

IMO I'd rather people just offer "unlimited" than sell resources they don't have. I once came across a P2H site that offered plans with 80gb disk, yet according to PHP, the disks on the server only added up to 60gb. At least with unlimited plans, you can tell people when they've had enough.
Yes i have tons against it. You have zero to 0 control over your server usually. Buy a VPS.
People usually don't like hosts that use resellers because VPS/Dedicated are what you should use for hosts. But it's a great learning curve I think.
(2010-06-08, 10:54 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]Yes i have tons against it. You have zero to 0 control over your server usually. Buy a VPS.

Yes, but there will be less chance of human error.
(2010-06-08, 11:04 PM)rhydian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-08, 10:54 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]Yes i have tons against it. You have zero to 0 control over your server usually. Buy a VPS.

Yes, but there will be less chance of human error.

I can leave my server just doing updates and things will bugger up. The human error isn't the admin, its the users.
I have a few problems with reseller hosting:
  • Operators generally have and need no technical knowledge making their support practically useless
  • They are further down the chain so if something goes wrong they really don't have any control
  • They are usually massively oversold
  • They have no control over whether their master host is overselling or how many accounts are hosted on each server so they can't make these guarantees
  • They operators usually start their company with no business plan so they do poorly and close soon after opening, leaving their clients up a creek

If someone wants to start a host they should have the technical and business abilities to make it run smoothly and viably and they should at least have a VPS.
Pages: 1 2