MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: XHTML (or other) validation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know its getting old and replacements are in the pipe, but I am working on getting my site the be XHTML 1.0 Transitional valid and have found that users with '&' in their name are causing validation errors.

So far, I have two places that I have cleaned the code to do a simple replace of '&' with '&' but I am sure there are a few more places that need it.

There have been af ew minor tmeplate edits I have had to make as well, mostly for those edited by plugins (or in the plugins themselves if they create HTML in their variables)

So what is the future of MyBB in terms of doctype validation? Sticking to XHTML 1.0 Transitional or moving to 1.1 , maybe even Strict mode?

Just curious what the plans are, or at least what is being considered
It is not possible to register with a username which contains "&".
oops, i went back and looked and that user was from before my conversion to mybb. i did not clean up that character in usernames in my conversion script.
(2010-06-09, 07:18 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]So what is the future of MyBB in terms of doctype validation? Sticking to XHTML 1.0 Transitional or moving to 1.1 , maybe even Strict mode?

Just curious what the plans are, or at least what is being considered

We are aware of your concerns with the markup of 1.x and it is our intent to improve this area in future releases of MyBB. I am just one of (among others) the new MyBB developers who is focused on improving the validity, semantics, accessibility, usability and cross-browser/device compatibility of the MyBB front-end whenever possible, going forward.

In the meantime, feel free make a post in the appropriate forum regarding specific questions about 1.x markup modification. If you would like, you can PM me a link to your posts regarding this subject for my consideration and I would be happy to assist wherever I can. (I've done a good bit of markup modification on 1.x)
Thanks. Most of the XHTML 1.0 Transitional validation errors are minor and I think only a few were in MyBB default templates. Most were in plugin templates/template edits.

Its just that there are so many options for doctype now but I think that HTML5 will be the most common standard, but its a ways off. Look forward to see where things go.
If there are problems with the validity, they will be fixed...