MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: one installation split across mutiple subdomains (beta testers needed)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
i quit working on it for now. There are issues with being able to keep the data limited to the subdomains.
I like very much this idea! Maybe also a different theme for the subdomain/other domain?
(2011-01-03, 04:05 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]i quit working on it for now. There are issues with being able to keep the data limited to the subdomains.

Hi pavemen,

What do you think if I pay you to make this plugin for me? I don't really know what's the problem behind development of this plugin, but if you still can make it real, do PM me.

Thanks. Smile
Any news?
Bringing this back from the dead. I have an updated file that is in beta2 now.

The plugin file is attached and USE AT YOUR RISK.

To use, create your subdomains and direct them to the same folder that has the forum files. Do NOT point them to their own folders.

DO NOT make copies of the forum files. A single install is fine.

Upload plugin, activate and edit settings. Enable main switch, specify subdomains you have setup on your account that you want to use for the forum, specify the Category IDs that you want to fall into each subdomain, specify the theme ID you want to apply to each subdomain.

example:

www,4x4,atv

ALL|1|3,4,7

The above will make:

'www.' show all forums with the default theme
'4x4.' limit to category 1 and all its forums and use theme ID 3
'atv.' is limited to categroies 3,4 and 7 and all their forums and use the default theme.

The new plugin file now redirects links to forums/threads/posts in other subdomains to their correct domains. This means that the reported posts links or old external links are properly redirected.

Also, as you likely noted above, each subdomain can have its own theme (and related template). However, if a user overrides the assigned theme, that will be used. So if you have template specific links in the theme they may not be visible to a user. This is likely not an issue and can be overcome if you set the theme for each forum and category in the ACP and force the override of user settings.

Please note, if you are going to use the 'ALL' option, it MUST BE FIRST in the list.

Hi, i very much like the idea and would like to be involved in the beta testing. I.m running a new forum and have the idea of running it on several sub domains.

However, I've tried similar ideas in Joomla and was disappointed because pointing the subdoimain to the same root folder means the posts might start appearing duplicate content under both the subdomain and the main domain. Is this likely to be the case with this plugin?
not if you use it from the start and do not use ALL option. this way, the categories are only shown for a specific subdomain. plus it changes all the links of images, etc to use the subdomain.
Everytings ok except Theme =) User's default theme is working on all subdomains...

How can we fix it?
when i can find some time I can look into it. i've kind of dropped this project as my plans had changed, but if i can find some time i will look at it
Pages: 1 2 3 4