MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Regarding theme submissions and "free"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I offer themes for free, but charge five dollars for copyright removal. Since the theme itself is free, does this count as a "paid" item?
That's a good question, I'd like to know the answer as well.
The only themes that are allowed here under the new policy is those available on the mods site so if your theme is available on the mods site then yes there is no problems with it. Bear in mind though that our official policy is that only GPL compatible licences are allowed on the mods site (although this restriction hasn't been implemented yet) and most GPL compatible licences allow users to remove the copyright for free themselves.
I believe the 'new' BSD licence is gpl-compatible. This licence doesn't allow users to remove the copyright without permission.
Oh? I've been using Creative Commons ShareAlike 3.
(2010-06-12, 08:00 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I offer themes for free, but charge five dollars for copyright removal. Since the theme itself is free, does this count as a "paid" item?

No, it doesn't count as "paid" although we might create a new classification for those type of themes/plugins

MyBB at one point (when we were under a restrictive license) charged for copyright removal and we weren't a "paid" product at all
(2010-06-13, 05:07 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB at one point (when we were under a restrictive license) charged for copyright removal and we weren't a "paid" product at all

Out of curiosity, how much was charged?
(2010-06-13, 05:08 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-13, 05:07 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB at one point (when we were under a restrictive license) charged for copyright removal and we weren't a "paid" product at all

Out of curiosity, how much was charged?

I believe it was 80$? Which is a steal for the caliper of this software.
It's not paid and is a great way for people to get a theme for free and developers to make a few $$$ fromt hose who would like a more "professional" look

Everyone wins!
I thought with GPL the mods had no limitation for people who downloads it. They can modify it at their will, and also re-distribute it. If I am correct, then asking for money to remove credit is quite foolish because the license in which you're releasing it allows users to freely modify it. Can somebody tell me if I understood correctly? (I'm still trying to figure out GPL licenses)
Pages: 1 2