MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PhpBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not saying i'm doing this but i've always wanted to know if you can link

Say my main forum is mybb could you have another software running phpbb but the same posts etc, or doesn't the databases bind like that.

/Just wondering.
Can't be done.
(2010-06-13, 04:57 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]Can't be done.

Or rather, CAN be done. With enough knowledge of PHP and lots of time. But you wont find anyone here working on it. This is the MyBB board, and we support MyBB.

Not to mention this is a ridiculous concept in the extreme. Just use one software or the other. Not both at once.
I know that...
(2010-06-13, 04:35 AM)labra Wrote: [ -> ]Say my main forum is mybb could you have another software running phpbb but the same posts etc, or doesn't the databases bind like that.

MyBB and phpbb are both obviously going to have a very different database structure and while it's not impossible to do what you suggest it is not practical by a long shot.
Theoretically, it can be done, but it wouldn't be worth it.
You'd have to have a script that would read both databases, port them to a single SQL format, then merge them, and then reload the entire database back into both systems.

Oh, did I mention you'd also have to close the board (or at least lock posting) every time you did this? And it'd have to be done often.

Easier method would be to port the SQL format from one system to the other, but then you risk dozens, if not hundreds of errors that you can't get support on because of the modified core system.

So yeah, it's possible. Just not worth it though.
It would be easier to set up 2 MyBB forums.
It would be easier to have one forum if they have everything exactly the same content wise.
You'd essentially have either 2 copies of MyBB or phpBB at that point really.
You can do anything. If its actually worth it is another discussion.