MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin Theme Panel Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The first thing that went wrong is I tried to change a font color in thead from white to black. Nothing happened. Tried again, and still nothing happened, but all of a sudden the text was centered on thead. I put that back, and tried to change font color again. Nothing happened. So I deleted the theme and started over. I changed the background of thead (which worked) but I could not change the text. I gave up, shut down, and took a break.

When I came back I decided to export all my themes for safety measure. Then decided to import one (because it already had the right font colors) and try to use this as a starting place for the one I had tried before. When I imported I told MyBB to import with a new name. I've done this before. I got the following error.

Quote:The following errors were encountered:

* MyBB could not find the theme with the file you uploaded. Please check the file is the correct and is not corrupt.

So I tried (one by one) to import my other themes and got the same errors.

Suggestions?
I've been thinking about this more, and I ran a couple tests. I don't know anything about how MyBB (or other forum software) works, so I can only make assumptions based on my general computer experience.

(2010-06-14, 04:26 AM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]The first could thing that went wrong is I tried to change a font color in thead from white to black. Nothing happened. Tried again, and still nothing happened, but all of a sudden the text was centered on thead.

This strikes me as a file corruption causing a misalignment of data. There is no way the word "center" can appear in the box from nowhere. It had to come from some place else in that theme or in another theme. The corruption could also explain why the font color was not working.

Quote:So I tried (one by one) to import my other themes and got the same errors.
And today I ran a different test. I exported the default MyBB theme and I could not import it back in. But I then tried to import the MyBB theme XML that is in the installation package, and it came in okay. So this too points to the possibility corruption in the area that stores the themes. Thing is, though, I don't know where they are stored. It is in the database? Is it in a file on the server? And I don't know how they are stored.

Anyway, my next trouble shooting step might be for someone else to try importing one of my themes. But I don't know if this will jeopardize anyone else's system. Anyone out there willing to try this and report back? I'll attach one.

Also, is there a way to wipe out and reinstall the theme stuff, without loosing my messages and membership information? What I'm thinking about is the themes themselves, and replacing the php files that manage and create themes.
what version are you running?

is your <mybb_root>\cache folder writable? MyBB caches themes, so if not writable it may have issues

have you set mod_expires values in your htaccess? if so, your browser is not retrieving the new cached files
(2010-06-15, 05:02 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]what version are you running?

ver. 1.4.13

Quote:is your <mybb_root>\cache folder writable? MyBB caches themes, so if not writable it may have issues

Yes, it's set to 777.

Quote:have you set mod_expires values in your htaccess? if so, your browser is not retrieving the new cached files

I don't understand how to look for this, so I attached htaccess file, renamed for uploading.
the htaccess looks fine.i am not sure what happened to make your themes act that way. do you have any custom code in your core files?

what about plugins? which ones are you using?
(2010-06-15, 03:38 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]what about plugins? which ones are you using?

I'm using "MyTheme" theme changer. That was there for awhile before this happened. I also made changes to two header templates to insert a chat room. I might have happened after that. I can't remember now.

But I guess that would be something to try. I'll remove extras and see if that fixes things.
disable the mytheme plugin and see if that fixes it. if not, copy/paste the header templates you modified to save the data and then revert those to original. see if that fixes the problem.
pavemen, the problem seems to be fixed now. But I can't point my finger at what it was. As I was removing and testing I got confused and now I can't say which step made the difference. But right now I am free of mods and exported a fresh copy of one of my themes and was able to import it. And I'm able to modify things. Later I'll worry about putting back mods, and how to check things as I go.

Thanks for hanging in there and helping me.