MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Any SEO Experts Out There??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK I was thinking about copying and pasting some of the posts from My Blog into My Forums. Not all of them just the tutorials.

What I want to know is will Google class this as duplicate content and penalise me (rankings wise) in any way?

Thanks in Advance Smile
No they wont. You will rank the same of maybe higher.
(2010-06-18, 12:59 AM)iBf Wrote: [ -> ]No they wont. You will rank the same of maybe higher.

OK Cool Thanks,

Do you know what Google regards as Duplicate Content?
Mobile or printer versions of your site. Not much else..
I suggest reading up on Canonicalization,
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters...wer=139066
Thank You Smile

Good bit of bedtime reading Big Grin
I can only see a plus side on doing that as your forum will now also be listed under the keyword meaning your blog and your forum will be listed on Google when the user types in the a query that will bring up your site.
Are you going to get backlinks for both versions of the same content then?

Depends on how you look at it, yes you'll get two listings on Google but when your backlinks are split between the two then both will probably rank lower on results pages than if you concentrated on one.
What I will probably do is add the blog posts to the forum but at the bottom of the forum post put something like "Originally posted on our blog...." with a link.

The actual blog has sitelinks in Google too so would be good if the forum link appears in there too Smile
If both blog post and forum post are identical, and both offer a comments feature, then both are of identical content and function, and thus duplicate content. This is regardless of whether Google would detect it as being duplicates, just think about how users would use your blog and forum - if half of your user base makes comments in the blog, the other half in the forum, you've basically removed any means of interaction between the two even though they're seeing the same thing and commenting on the same thing.

Decide on one system, and make the other link to it. See how the MyBB community forums simply link to the blog instead of letting users discuss it directly here. That way the content and comments are all in one place.
This--> ...you've basically removed any means of interaction between the two...
Decide on one system, and make the other link to it.
~frostschutz.

Any SEO Experts Out There??
IMO, any real SEO expert will admit that SEO itself is at least 40% BS (or outdated info) and 40% SPAM. Toungue

(2010-06-18, 12:55 AM)Chrissy Poo Wrote: [ -> ]OK I was thinking about copying and pasting some of the posts from My Blog into My Forums. Not all of them just the tutorials.

What I want to know is will Google class this as duplicate content and penalise me (rankings wise) in any way?

Thanks in Advance Smile

According to Big G:
Let's put this to bed once and for all, folks: There's no such thing as a "duplicate content penalty." At least, not in the way most people mean when they say that.
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.c...nalty.html

1. Don't expect to make sustainable income from duplicate content.
  2. The paranoia about dup content is often dramatically over-stated.