MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: WANTED PHP-wizard with MyBB-knowledge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I've been in the community for quite a long time (coming from DevBB-times). Some years ago I took on a task to be the IT Chairman for an International non-profit organization. During the last 3.5 years I've been with them, I've taken them from wwwthreads to devBB to MyBB when it comes to forums...and last but not least....had an entire community built around the MyBB-core (user management system etc).

Our community is a 'closed' community of sort (an alumni association) and the reason why I just don't give out the URL here is that we paid a lot of money to develop the system the way we wanted it and I don't want our forums polluted with people that are not in any way linked to our organization only registering to say "hey cool theme..can I have it" or "your CMS is really awesome can I have it" etc. So if you are interested in helping us, let me know and I will give you the URL in a PM.

Now what is it that we have now and where do we need help.

- entire system is built around MyBB
- templates for the webpages
- CMS to manage the pages
- CMS to manage the page-menus
- webdonations via https
- webshop with creditcard-transactions
- multi-level accesses via usergroups
- customized userfields (we have about 30 customfields)
- customized setting up a userfield (allow them to be searchable)
- customized search-forms that allow searches by customfields
- Country-table
- many-to-many junction-table for certain associations (also searchable)
- our own massemail-system with templates
- our own newsletter-system to publish something in a news-box as well as in a mass-email at the same time
- certain specific usergroups and rights to allow people limited editing-access to subsets of the userdata
- 20,000 users migrated from another database separated into multiple usergroups based on their activeness in the system

There might be others that I am forgetting now...but that's the jist of it...

Now having been running this site for some months we've discovered areas for improvement (and some bugs) that we really need some help with as I am by no means a programmer.
Quote:
1) Lost Password - function is not working. Partially probably because we have a great deal of people in the system with no email-address at all in the system (use of system has lead the system trying to send emails to empty strings and leading to some 14,000 'undeliverables' in my mailbox each time.... so need someone to really debug this one for me.

- DONE
2) Diacritics - Our alumni come from all over the world from tens of different countries....meaning their names are in all kinds of characters. Since our system allows searched by Lastname (stored in CustomUserfield), it would need to have some kind of system to deal with diacritic-characters. I have an idea how to do that, but no expertise to make it happen.

3) MERGE-tool - The MERGE-function in the AdminCP allows the admin to merge two users by the username. However, this only relinks the threads/posts/polls from the source-account to the target-account and doesn't touch the actual contents of the usertable-record and userfieldstable-record. What I would like to have is a tool that allows the admin to pull up the two records side by side and while the posts/threads/polls would still be relinked to the target-account, the system would allow the admin to choose from the values in the two records in the 2 tables (USERS, USERFIELDS) which takes precedence and then proceed by writing the chosen values in the target-record.

4) Forwarding PMs - I would like to have a function that allows not only forwarding PMs to another user as a PM, but if necessary allow you to enter an email-address where the forwarded message will be delivered as an email. Where I see this useful, is when people are sending support-requests to me directly (as a result of the message sent to them by the 'PM on register' -plugin), I would like to be able to forward that message to our support-emailbox.

5) FORUM SEARCH - I would like to be able to do string-searches in the forums. I know this might be on the list of the MyBB-team though....at least this was my impression when I first brought it up more than a year ago.

6) PMPOPUP - would just lieke to use this function on our index-page (which is NOT the same as the forum-index page)

7) Data Extracts - I need to be able to do some data-extractions from the database on frequent basis. For the time being, I have downloaded copies of the reference-tables to my own local database..then just copy the USER and USERFIELDS -tables to refresh the data I have locally and use my own SQL-tools to create proper output files. Ideally I would like to have a system that would have a form to build your query in it, then just click go and you will be prompted to save the output file on your computer. (this system would be used to create addresslabel-files for our hardcopy mailings).

I think that's it for now.......

Since we're a non-profit, I can really promise payment for any of these... I am looking for people that are up to the challenge and willing to help out.
If there are any people from the MyBB Group willing to help us out, we can talk about handing over some of our custom-built code for the good of the MyBB Project (as already offered to Chris and Peter so far).

I think that's it for now. If anyone is interested to tackle any or all of these...please get in touch with me. Only serious replies please!

Cheers,
Kimmo
is there really nobody willing to take a shot at any of those projects/problems I have? It's not like I am asking to withold copyright on any of the fixes/tools written...most of them would be of benefit to the whole community....

cheers,
kimmo
I would help but lots of things going on Sad
MyBB is able of MassEmail and many things than you are saying us
Augustino Wrote:MyBB is able of MassEmail and many things than you are saying us
I am not sure I follow what you are trying to say?
nobody interested? not even a single one of the tasks?? Or maybe noone knows how to do them?
What do you want doing for country table or data extracts?
the country-table I have already but the data extract-tool is really needed....I have so many permission flags there that at the moment only I am capable of doing extracts manually....so I would definitely need a form .....but there's more...I need to insert some logic in it as well...since it's used for creating address-label files for printers...I need to do some cleaning first....remove all records with no mailable address...then combine records that share an address...

sound like something you could help with??

cheers,
Kimmo
I could help with all of them Toungue. It's just a case of managing my time. I have quite a few things ongoing (mybb, my own mods, uni, revision etc). Not had a lot of time for anything recently Confused. But I might be able to spend some time at least.

I'm still not sure what you want exactly. Permission flags? A custom mysql query tool is quite a huge thing. The best thing would be to create pages for each query you wanted.