MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: problems: a) copying files from trunk , b) top menu bar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2010-06-24, 05:46 PM)973 Wrote: [ -> ]With myBB I have the problems mentioned in this post. I think nowadays any forum should have included a fotoblog and a chat function. All ths social network and easy-to-ues ready blog programs (comercial, or to be used at one site, but not for install on your own server) such like netlog have this.

We focus on the forum itself rather than loads of social stuff. What's the point in writing forum software and then including something that is going to reduce activity on the forum...??

(2010-06-23, 11:07 PM)973 Wrote: [ -> ]Why you dont use git , or make a .tar.gz of everything for download after each comit -- like doing other serious projects like mesa, linux, etc etc ??

Because this code isn't supposed to be used on live forums, if we package it up all neatly for people, people will use unstable, untested development code on production forums and create a support overhead for us. If you're at a level to be confident using unstable, untested code on a live forum, you should be at a level to be comfortable with checking it out to use it.

(2010-06-24, 05:46 PM)973 Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you have a solution for that, otherwhise I nor start to use that just installed board but something else like phpBB or drupal

Are you saying you're going to use other software simply because you can't checkout development code...?? I can check it out fine, as can everybody else, if you can't it'll be something on your end.
Some hosts don't support chat programs, due to server load. Thus it is unreasonable offer it as a standard option
At the moment, I switched again to your mybb program

http://www.physik.yi.org/

I try to correct the problems I quoted above. However, when this fails, I switch back to drupal. With drupal, I'm satisfied, until now; really many functions and the whole install is easy, also to add plugins (I added some 50), the program checls everything very careful, advices about little problems AND how to resolve them (incl. links f.ex for download libs or missing files like media players -- just in this way things should be.

Later !

PS: I asked some friends what I should improve on my already-running forums that they are more attractive. They answered exactly this: style like a photo/clip blog , social network style. For my opinion, here is a good example for a tecnical forum: http://www.physorg.com/ You see, there are also enough menus inside. A forum program which dont have this, is obsolate.
=============================

OK I found the header template mentioned in post 6

... but, I have to edit this by hand ??? Isn't there an standard admin function for define primary links (for the header) and secondary links (in the footer) -- inclusive that the primary links appears as a menu bar, like in THIS forum as: home , about , features , ... ?? Now Im waiting until someone helps me, best is to put an (easy 2 lonk/button) example how to include this on the header
(2010-06-25, 08:44 PM)973 Wrote: [ -> ]OK I found the header template mentioned in post 6

... but, I have to edit this by hand ??? Isn't there an standard admin function for define primary links (for the header) and secondary links (in the footer) -- inclusive that the primary links appears as a menu bar, like in THIS forum as: home , about , features , ... ?? Now Im waiting until someone helps me, best is to put an (easy 2 lonk/button) example how to include this on the header

That's just how this site is, it doesn't come with that header...
Then:

Tell me HOW I GET IN MY HEADER THE MENU BAR WITH LINKS LIKE (here in this forum, as an example): home , about , features, download ... ???????? This is what I want, at the moment.

With drupal, one just define these links as 'primary links', and such a menu bar appears automatically (one can still decide if left, middle, right oriented). This is how I understand an normally-easy manageable board.

Alias: in the ADMIN area of your board is such a menu: Startseite , Konfiguration , Foren & Beiträge ... . Thus, why isn"t present and /or enable a menu like this in the board itself too ??? I suppose 99% of the users want this -- at least on almost all forums one see such a menu bar.
Drupal is not MyBB. You cannot possibly compare them. One is a CMS, one is form software. Just put HTML in your header template if you want links there. It's better to just give you templates to put whatever code you want in rather than have preset selections and be tied to those.
It's right that drupal is 'more general' than just a forum. However, I also like to have things like chat and blog / photo/video -blog at the side of the forum. Also, in drupal you can include anywhere HTLM or php code -- however, you dont need this because you have already pre-programmed readily and easy-to-enable the most common things.

See that the tendence, nowadays, is towards personal fotoblogs, what the most simple, no-specialized users, can use to make them own blog or 'homepage' -- just like in netlog. Thus, the most normal things have to be easy.

And programmers have to get it through like the users want -- inconditionally. Otherwhise, people don't use them programs. This is one of the biggest reasons why Windows has success long time and Linux don't progreed - because the programmers think the users have to accept the programs as they want, but the users then simply dont use them programs.

Thus: jump and repair this what I reclaim !

=================
PS (late in the night): I installed about 10 more themes, and about appr. 10 plugins. None of the plugins and only 1 of the themes worked ... And the menu bar explained above, I dont get working ... I know that I'm using the 1.6 pre-version, but in future I don't want to have to change everything if the forum version changes because old plugins / themes don't work longer.
So, at the moment I switch back to the drupal forum. Perhaps in future, for any next forum, I reconsider myBB. You can send me a mail when you included the things I reclaimed to miss.
(2010-06-25, 10:26 PM)973 Wrote: [ -> ]I installed about 10 more themes, and about appr. 10 plugins. None of the plugins and only 1 of the themes worked ...
I don't know what you are doing, but this is not normal...
Why do you use MyBB 1.6? I see no reason for using an unstable version to test a software.
(2010-06-25, 10:26 PM)973 Wrote: [ -> ]PS (late in the night): I installed about 10 more themes, and about appr. 10 plugins. None of the plugins and only 1 of the themes worked ... And the menu bar explained above, I dont get working ... I know that I'm using the 1.6 pre-version, but in future I don't want to have to change everything if the forum version changes because old plugins / themes don't work longer.
So, at the moment I switch back to the drupal forum. Perhaps in future, for any next forum, I reconsider myBB. You can send me a mail when you included the things I reclaimed to miss.

You're using beta software!! Of course no plugins and themes work as they haven't been updated yet!! Obviously there's going to be changes necessary when going from 1.4 > 1.6, it's a big upgrade, just like 1.2 > 1.4 was, and 1.6 > 2.0 will be. Using other software because you can't get a beta to work with 1.4 plugins and themes is just daft. But if that's what you want to base decisions on it's up to you. If you can't get the header links right then you're doing something wrong, all you need to do is put HTML in, it's not MyBB's fault if you're doing that wrong. We're not going to be making big additions mid way through a beta so if you want these features, they're not going to be added for a while. MyBB is forum software, we focus on the forum, not making a general site or CMS.
OK in the next days I try your 1.4 version. On the other hand, I want a blog and a chat and in drupal its already working.
Pages: 1 2 3