MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: View Unread Posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

This looks good but I would have expected this to be a core functionality. Are there plans to implement this feature in the core?
We moved our board from a WBB to MyBB and my users are very irritated that there is no search for unread posts included. The search for new posts does not work as expected by the users.

Greetings
Atnun
There is new version: View Unread Posts 1.5
File attached to first post in the topic.

Changes in 1.5:
- admin can excludes forums by searching via ACP
- show unread posts counter (experimental)

Changes in 1.4:
- improveve search unread posts system

Changes in 1.3:
- fix in sql query (sql error)

[Image: unreads.th.png]
another good update Smile
I installed the update and like the previous version it seems to work really well. Thanks for your effort!

Only thing is I don't see a config section in admin cp. What I did was deactivate, upload, activate. I didn't want to uninstall because I don't want to lose the thread tracking information of my users. Any chance to get the section in admin cp to show without uninstalling?

I also have a suggestion for the activation process since I always change it in your plugin before installation:

I don't know how you designed your template but in my template the items in the "header_welcome_member" template are <li> items so why don't you just insert your
{$unreadspost}
as
<li>{$unreadspost}</li>
instead of attaching it to another <li> item.

And in the plugin code remove the
 | (pipe)
and define this in your template / theme instead so other themes don't get disturbed by it.

Other than that I really like this.

Greetings
Atnun
I managed to insert the new settings myself now and activated the new (experimental) unread posts number display in the link.
Nice feature but one thing I don't like: when there are no unread posts (count is 0) the whole link to the "search unread posts" is gone. It's only visible when there really are unread posts. This might sound logical to some people but for normal users this is irritating because they think the whole function is missing. It would be better to just display the link with a "(0)" after it so the user can see immediately that there is no unread post.

Greetings
Atnun
Good idea.
I will add this option (to show or hide link) in new version Smile
There is new version: View Unread Posts 1.6

Changes:
- add option to hide couter when there are not unread posts (thanks for atnun)
- fix bug with forum navigation when counter is enabled (thanks for Hans)
- fix bug with uninstall of the plugin
- add full compatibility for MyBB 1.4
(2010-11-17, 09:06 PM)lukasamd Wrote: [ -> ]There is new version: View Unread Posts 1.6

Changes:
- add option to hide couter when there are not unread posts (thanks for atnun)
- fix bug with forum navigation when counter is enabled (thanks for Hans)
- fix bug with uninstall of the plugin
- add full compatibility for MyBB 1.4

thanks!
any suggestion if this error happen?
I might had problem with my missing tid Wink

[attachment=20553]
Copy here all sql query.