MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods Vs Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I seen guides how to development plugins and they have been handy.

What I am looking for now is how to package up a mod that edits the core MyBB files which I can't do with a plugin such as modifying a SQL query or changing other behvaior.

Couldn't find a article on the wiki also try to search for mod on the mod site but it is too short to searhc.
There isn't a builtin system.

Maybe a plugin which edits core files?
Or a text document explaining the edits?
Or providing edited core files?
So right now it is just a text explaining what files are edited? Hmm sounds like time for me to make another mod to make modding easier
There was an attempt by frostuchtz if i recall correctly, but it was very long time ago.
It was a patcher, it used simple diff files
Editing core files is not recommended unless strictly needed. Most of the time you can use the built-in hooking system
Yeah I try to avoid it but I don't see a way I can do it a couple cases that I want to do. Like changing how a BB code works only for guests
My advice...if you're gonna do core file edits your best shot is actually just adding a plugin hook call then adding the code in your plugin instead. This minimizes the core edits and makes it easier to redo the edits if broken.

I'm hoping you think outside the box though as many plugins can be done without a single core file edit. I think only one of my plugins makes such an edit.
Good idea I like that one. I can think of a couple places that could come in handy with some more plugin hook areas.