MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Migrating from Windows to Linux, any known issues?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Teachers,

We are preparing to migrate our entire site on Godaddy from Windows to Linux server. I was hoping to become better prepared by gathering any information on problems I might expect to encounter.

Godaddy has advised us to backup the databases to be safe and to expect anywhere from 24 to 72 hours for them to complete the move but they have no working knowledge of MyBB forums so here I am.

Moving next Sunday. Are they any tips, warning, protocols we should be aware of on the forum side?

Thanks again for all the help I have managed to wrangle from this wonderful group.

Cynthia
Well, make sure all your files have the proper capitalization in their names, since Linux is case-sensitive whereas Windows is not. This shouldn't be a problem for the MyBB core, but might be for some plugins.

Linux has a different security model than Windows. In Linux, each file is assigned to a user and a group. Permissions are specified by user, group, and others. Likewise, a permission is the set of read, write, and execute. Do a search for "permissions" on this site.
Thanks laie_techie,
I appreciate your help. We are moving to solve a forum mail issue. Reading about the capitalization issue above makes me feel ill. I was hoping to read "no known issues, have a nice move". Thanks again for your time.

Cynthia
Capitalisation wouldn't be anything we could do anything about anyway, as MyBB files are lowercase so if that was going to be an issue, it'd be with plugin files.
I don't see any problems you will encounter besides the faster hosting as Linux is a lot faster than Windows hosting. All I can advice is you to backup all files and the database. MyBB runs smoothly on Linux and Windows.
You'll experience a lightning fast performance which you cannot keep up with, you will have no idea what to do with the remaining resources and you can fire some of your maintainance staff because you no longer need to keep anti-virus up-to-date, fix annoying liabilities and reimport a backup every 2 days.

Oh you meant real downsides ? well there aren't any haha Big Grin
My first real smile of the day. Nervous Nelly here.

Thanks laeresh!
To follow up on what Laeresh said, about the anti virus, if you have a VPS weekly (Or dialy) clam AV scans of attactments are still a good idea.
So long as you set the file permissions right (CHMOD) there are no other major differences.
Yeh, forgot to mention that, ONLY if you have a really good server ( such as a VPS ) you might consider an extra security, although a hardware firewall ( <- best solution ) and the right permissions will already do this, else an anti virus as mentioned could do the trick.
But to even need that you must have really pissed someone off who hates your server.