MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installation problems at Database Configuration step
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I seem to be missing something here...

The MyBB install instructions basically sidestep the MySQL part of the installation, assuming that the user is using a hosting service who is taking care of that step. However, we're installing this in an intranet, and everything is being installed from scratch with no previous MyBB or PHP experience (do have a little MySQL experience).

The setup is on a Windows 2000 Server machine, and using IIS 5 as the web server. MySQL appears to be installed, and I've made a new database called "forum". PHP seems to be installed correctly (though who knows?), and I've gotten to the step of accessing the "install" directory for MyBB. The first couple of pages display ok, including the Database Configuration page. I enter what I believe is the correct information and click Next, but all I get is a blank page.

From other information I've gathered in the MyBB Community Forums, I suspect this means I have a configuration problem somewhere... but where? I can't find any means of generating log files from which to glean some clues, and the documentation makes a lot of assumptions regarding the system configuration prior to install of MyBB.

The php.ini file does have the doc_root setting set properly to c:\inetpub\wwwroot, and the extension_dir setting is set to c:\php\ext. I'm using MySQL version 5 and PHP version 5 and I downloaded MyBB today from the MyBB website. The IIS anonymous user has the proper privileges (I think) to the PHP directory. In MySQL, I have a user created who has all the permissions to the database I created (does anything else besides creating the database need to be done in MySQL for the MyBB install to work?).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Pat
You have the Zend engine installed?
Create a new file in your localhost directory, the one that should be running PHP.
Put this code in the new file (can be called anything)
<?php
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password');
if (!$link) {
   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}
echo 'Connected successfully';
mysql_close($link);
?>
Changing mysql_user and mysql_password to your values. Post what it says.

If the forum is on a different machine to the mysql (not in this case from what I can gather) or is setup kinda weird, you might have to change your mysql user to permit access from an IP or host. Mysql users can only usually access the database from specified locations. But I don't think this is the case here.

And thanks for providing such detailed information Smile
pc-tecky, please try the attached install.php - it'll detect if the configuration was correctly written or not (which i'm assuming it isn't for some reason).

Start the install from the beginning.

Regards,
Chris
Thanks. IIS didn't have full read/write permissions, so I set the security for the IWAM (for the IIS Process and not the anonymous user) to have full control of the folder and the subfolders. It works like a charm so far. Any other users need particular permissions to the various folders?