MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PayPal Halp. >:[
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay, so this is the second time this is happening to me.

Someone buys a theme from NanoSkinners, then immediately files a dispute with PayPal, the money is withheld. They get their download, and because I have no 'shipping' proof, they get their money back too.

I've lost money once and I'm not really interested in losing more again, because some people are too cheap to pay for a friggen $10 theme.

So I have three questions:

1) How do I win this case? I've read that constantly using words such as 'intangible' and related will get the message across that I can't just not ship the item, as it's already been downloaded.

2) How do I protect myself in the future from this BS? I know now that I unfortunately can't trust people as much as I'd like to. Maybe I'll change something out that requires manual approval or something...

3) Lastly, any suggestions for tracking where my themes are being used? Right now the only thing unique is a Google search with 'Theme by NanoSkinners'. Would putting some unique code with display:hide work at all to show up in the search engine?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone! I'll wait for some responses here before making a move by tonight.

PS. Staff, please don't close this thread, at least until something actually gets out of hand. I need a bit of help here and this is the best place for me to get it. Thanks.
Maybe go with a system more like hosting companies. You have fraud check on the account it self before they can actually get anything.
As far as i know, you can't do anything. PayPal likes to screw people over.
(2010-06-25, 04:54 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe go with a system more like hosting companies. You have fraud check on the account it self before they can actually get anything.

What do you mean, exactly?

@Mark, I'm beginning to think the same thing unfortunately.
I'm not sure how they do it exactly but many have a some way checking for known fraud people. I think it relates to the phone number/name but not sure how they do it.
You should be able to win this case by stating that the item is not shippable. I once got scammed buying a vB license, and that's what the **** guy said, Paypal didn't get my money back.
@Alex, oh. I'll look into some services relating to that!

@combus, I've tried that before... and failed. I guess I'll give it another go later tonight and see if I can get through to PayPal.
I honestly hate paypal but in some cases i just have to use it. when i was 13 i was scammed out of money and was only in £25 debt which was paid off very quickly. They changed balifs and sent the balifs my details, for years i recieved harrasing letters/phone calls for the money and what can i do?...thats right nothing!
Did you give PayPal the download log? MyDownloads logs if the user has actually downloaded the item or not. Might help you, or not.. Good luck though
You could put certain meta tags in the theme where they wouldn't find it. And then just google the keywords and you get the results. Not too sure if this will work though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4