MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Windows Freebies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2010-06-26, 11:36 AM)dunlop03 Wrote: [ -> ]As i've said its NOT an official logo its a modified logo from iconpedia.

I'm quite sure it is. I'm equally sure it's still a Microsoft Trademark. Like I said, just because it's been redrawn doesn't mean Microsoft doesn't own the rights to the image. Otherwise you'd see lots of cloned Pepsi bottles on shelves, wouldn't you. If you use it as the logo for your own website then Microsoft's legal representatives are entitled to issue a Cease And Desist order any time they're inclined that way. Indeed, if they don't protect their trademarks they're capable of losing them eventually, that's how lawyers end up so well fed and smug.
So whats the difference with my logo and all the logo's on these sites? Nothing. Its not the official logo. Its a re-creation of it. Dont be so stupid. They cant copyright a clone of the windows logo nor can they stop it being used. They can stop the usage of "copyright" logo itself.

So what ur saying is that the logo is a copyright logo and anything that looks like is copyrighted aswell ? lmao

Heres a forum with a custom vista logo, same thing , they cant stop that.

http://www.w7forums.com/
(2010-06-26, 12:30 PM)dunlop03 Wrote: [ -> ]Dont be so stupid.
I'm sure you think you're right. It's unfortunate that you won't consider checking but that's your own lookout.
I did check, its unfortunate that theres guys like you that just go around looking for flaws , mistakes etc.. on other sites.

Explain to me the logo used on this site : http://www.w7forums.com/

How come windows hasnt had that site removed ? I know why , but you cant seem to get that into your head.
Even if this logo was trademarked or copyrighted it wouldn't be the OP's fault. As he has got it from an icon site (where the icon itself has been released under a CC licence) these 'complaints' should be directed at the author of the icon and not the OP.
Which sites to make such requests to is a choice on the part of Microsoft's legal department. The instances where they don't doesn't mean they can't.

For the record, it's not a matter of copyright in this instance, it's a matter of trademark enforcement. It's not a question of who drew the shape and coloured it, it's a question of whether what's drawn looks sufficiently like the trademark. Using it as a website logo would, to a bunch of cantankerous lawyers, be seen as pretending the site's a part of the Microsoft Corporation. Nobody in their right mind would think your site is a part of the Microsoft Corporation but lawyers aren't interested in maybe, they want to retain ownership of their property.
As I said before it is the icon owner's fault as he is freely providing the icon.
Regardless conversations regarding the logo and trademarks aren't really providing feedback for the general site. Therefore it is probably best to keep them to PM's. Then the OP can get the feedback for the site which he wanted to get in the first place.
Feedback? There's a bloody great trademark infringement bang in the middle of every page on the site, that's pretty good feedback from where I'm sat. You can't seriously think that anyone can lawfully use a trademark just because they happen not to have drawn the thing themselves, surely.
(2010-06-26, 02:07 PM)cb6 Wrote: [ -> ]Feedback? There's a bloody great trademark infringement bang in the middle of every page on the site, that's pretty good feedback from where I'm sat. You can't seriously think that anyone can lawfully use a trademark just because they happen not to have drawn the thing themselves, surely.

I completely agree with this post.
(2010-06-26, 02:07 PM)cb6 Wrote: [ -> ]Feedback? There's a bloody great trademark infringement bang in the middle of every page on the site, that's pretty good feedback from where I'm sat. You can't seriously think that anyone can lawfully use a trademark just because they happen not to have drawn the thing themselves, surely.

Your just a wannabe lawyer or something. Just take your head out of your own backside for a minute. Theres no difference between my site and any other non official windows site. They all have altered windows logos, and to be honest i dont think windows would give a s**t nor would they be even bothered in taking legal action over a non official custom windows logo. If they did all the non official windows forums would be closed or would be using a completly different logo.

Heres another site for example , using the windows 7 logo: http://thewindows7site.com/forum/index.php

Your watchin too much tv my friend.
Pages: 1 2 3 4