MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some Suggestions for Chit Chat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm going to make a few suggestions. I don't want to start a fight, nor do I want this thread closed. If you aren't going to make suggestions or add your own constructive feedback, then don't post.

1) Stop the chatting in Chit-Chat. Change the name to General Discussion. I like phpBB's rule in this case:

Quote:This forum is called General Discussion - not - General Chat.
There is a clear distinction between discussion and chat. Things like "omg my hair is dead!!!!", "I like ice cream!"... or other random, pointless chat topics are not welcome here. Be sure that if you are going to reply, you have something worthwhile to say. Replies like "omgomg loL!" aren't worthwhile.

I've looked at other support forums for forum softwares, and we seem to be the only ones with this issue. Most other forums have somewhat intellectual discussions. And don't tell me because we are "free" that we have more immature members - I specifically looked at free forums.

2) Use the ban hammer. While I don't believe that trigger happy moderators are good for a community in the long run, I think that just for a small amount of time members need a warning in the form of a temporary ban. Once you notice more maturity in the community, then you can slow down on the bans.

3) The warning system is one of the most inhuman ways of warning someone. A fellow admin of a forum that I go to told me what Warning systems never work - they are just numbers, they are indirect and inpersonal. He runs a successful forum, with almost no trolls/spammers/etc, and once in a blue moon do people get banned (I think there's been a total of 3 people banned on his forum in the last year). Instead, maybe try a PM to the member? Say "Dear Zash, Thank's for being part of the forums. I'm glad you are an active member on MyBB. However, do you mind laying off on posting these kind of posts? They aren't very productive. Thanks!" That would definitely get more positive results than a 20% warn, which I would shrug off and at worst get pissed off and argue with or leave.

I'll add some more as I think of them. I don't want to see this community completely disintegrate.
I personally agree with all of those. :p

With the warnings; usually (if we can be bothered) we do send PM's. However I'm sure we can try to be a little friendlier Smile
I could not have said this better myself. I do agree with not using the warning system in many ways too, although for a professional forum it can be necessary, although I think there should be much stricter guidelines about issuing warnings - only if the post is of abusive or adult nature, not if a comment in the showcase forum wasn't the most tactful thing to say and could be solved with a PM explaining to the user what the problem is.
I was just thinking about #1 last night. I was going to make a post that it's kind of getting out of hand in the chit-chat forum. I mean I used to read like every thread in there now I don't even read half because I know it's going to be a pretty pointless post.
I love this... MyBB should really consider it. After all, there have been some recent changes to reduce the randomness, why not a new policy that would change MyBB's community profile in the long run.
(2010-06-26, 01:13 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to make a few suggestions. I don't want to start a fight, nor do I want this thread closed. If you aren't going to make suggestions or add your own constructive feedback, then don't post.

1) Stop the chatting in Chit-Chat. Change the name to General Discussion. I like phpBB's rule in this case:

Quote:This forum is called General Discussion - not - General Chat.
There is a clear distinction between discussion and chat. Things like "omg my hair is dead!!!!", "I like ice cream!"... or other random, pointless chat topics are not welcome here. Be sure that if you are going to reply, you have something worthwhile to say. Replies like "omgomg loL!" aren't worthwhile.

I've looked at other support forums for forum softwares, and we seem to be the only ones with this issue. Most other forums have somewhat intellectual discussions. And don't tell me because we are "free" that we have more immature members - I specifically looked at free forums.
Agreed, already suggested this.

(2010-06-26, 01:13 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]2) Use the ban hammer. While I don't believe that trigger happy moderators are good for a community in the long run, I think that just for a small amount of time members need a warning in the form of a temporary ban. Once you notice more maturity in the community, then you can slow down on the bans.
Again agreed, suggested this.

(2010-06-26, 01:13 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]3) The warning system is one of the most inhuman ways of warning someone. A fellow admin of a forum that I go to told me what Warning systems never work - they are just numbers, they are indirect and inpersonal. He runs a successful forum, with almost no trolls/spammers/etc, and once in a blue moon do people get banned (I think there's been a total of 3 people banned on his forum in the last year). Instead, maybe try a PM to the member? Say "Dear Zash, Thank's for being part of the forums. I'm glad you are an active member on MyBB. However, do you mind laying off on posting these kind of posts? They aren't very productive. Thanks!" That would definitely get more positive results than a 20% warn, which I would shrug off and at worst get pissed off and argue with or leave.

I'll add some more as I think of them. I don't want to see this community completely disintegrate.
No. Members should know their limit and if they behave they wont get any warnings. When a member gets a warning they shouldn't be annoyed or complaining because they should know why they got that warning.

(2010-06-26, 07:02 PM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]I love this... MyBB should really consider it. After all, there have been some recent changes to reduce the randomness, why not a new policy that would change MyBB's community profile in the long run.
We do have plans and we are currently working on new and improved rules. They will probably roll out with the release of 1.6.
Yeah I think renaming Chit-Chat is a good idea, it isn't Facebook, nor is it MSN.

(2010-06-26, 01:13 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]Instead, maybe try a PM to the member?
I think originally the warning system was designed to use that way so the warnings were just a way to keep track of those PMs (ie. warnings) rather than being the actual warning. Maybe we should try and get back to this.
(2010-06-26, 07:12 PM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-26, 07:02 PM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]I love this... MyBB should really consider it. After all, there have been some recent changes to reduce the randomness, why not a new policy that would change MyBB's community profile in the long run.
We do have plans and we are currently working on new and improved rules. They will probably roll out with the release of 1.6.

It's good to hear there's something going on for the rules, MyBB 1.6 will be like a complete change. New licenses, new rules, new mods site, new everything Toungue
I could get behind the first two ideas. I prefer using a warning system as while it is less personal, it is fair and allows less bias between mods and members that may be friends or may be mortal enemies. Its the same for everyone.

Side note: The off-topic section of my site is called 'The Brothel' as its the home of the post whores...
(2010-06-27, 01:22 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Side note: The off-topic section of my site is called 'The Brothel' as its the home of the post whores...

Are you suggesting MyBB takes the same idea, and that they change "Posting Freak" to "Posting w****"? Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3