MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Remote avatars not working - URL invalid.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Remove avatars aren't working on my forum. When a user puts an avatar URL, it returns:
Quote:* The URL you entered for your avatar does not appear to be valid. Please ensure you enter a valid URL.

This is probably due to a misconfiguration on my server, which I administer, so it's definitely my fault. However, I'm a bit stuck at working out what's wrong.

This thread had a similar problem, but the get-image test script suggested there works fine. cURL is enabled on my server.

Am I missing a php module that I should have? I'm running php5-cgi with a slightly unusual web server (cherokee).

It's probably something really simple that I'm missing. I was running the same configuration on a different VPS and it worked, so it seems like perhaps I'm just missing some sort of configuration option.

my phpinfo shows:
allow_url_fopen	On	On
allow_url_include	Off	Off

Should allow_url_include be on? cURL is enabled. I don't really want to enable it because of the security implications, but then I'm not very knowledgable about php.

I've not changed many settings away from the defaults, and I don't think I did anything special last time I set up the same configuration.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? What process does myBB use to fetch external avatars for checking? Obviously there's something required in that process that's either missing or misconfigured. It's possible I'm missing an image library required.

Thanks!
Could you please provide a link to your MyBB board and a test admin account?
Info Sent.
I wasn't able to upload an avatar either from my computer. Do you got /uploads/avatars CHMODED?
That's pretty embarrassing.

It was 775, which apparently isn't good enough. Everything works now! Just a permissions thing.

Thanks for the help.
Ooh well, now you know Wink.