MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What AV is the lightest?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So on my new machine i want a light light AV. I don't download or view any sites that are bad, so i don't need anything heavy. I'll list all i have/willing to buy. I won't buy out of that so don't ask.

Kaspersky internet security
Norton internet secuity
and i have a free copy of trend micro internet security for some reason, might as well use it if its better.
and lastly i have mcaffee, its like 2 years old.... lol.
Several recommendations:

NOD32 - Absolutely brilliant, reasonable detection rate
AVG (PAID!)
Sophos - Great for enterprise deployments

To be honest with you, other than that I wholeheartedly endorse Kaspersky (just the AV package though) - they have a brilliant detection rate and the package isn't too awful as far as resource gobbling goes. Seeing as you've got it on your list, I presume you've tried already and it hasn't worked for you.
(2010-06-26, 10:13 PM)vividWire Wrote: [ -> ]Several recommendations:

NOD32 - Absolutely brilliant, reasonable detection rate
AVG (PAID!)
Sophos - Great for enterprise deployments

To be honest with you, other than that I wholeheartedly endorse Kaspersky (just the AV package though) - they have a brilliant detection rate and the package isn't too awful as far as resource gobbling goes. Seeing as you've got it on your list, I presume you've tried already and it hasn't worked for you.

I've used nod, i don't like it at all. AVG and i have several issues (Mostly in the customer support area..) Sophos is great for an enterprise i agree, i need it for one machine.

My list is what i have, i'm looking for the best of it.
I bloody have to agree with ESET NOD32, I've got it on my lappy myself.

IMO, The best AV, and extremely light.

Give it a trial, and see for yourself.
(2010-06-26, 10:17 PM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]I've used nod, i don't like it at all. AVG and i have several issues (Mostly in the customer support area..) Sophos is great for an enterprise i agree, i need it for one machine.

My list is what i have, i'm looking for the best of it.

Well, Kaspersky, and if that isn't possible along with the other potential candidates I short-listed, then try Avira paid. It also has a decent detection rate, and from past experience doesn't screw systems over as far as memory munching goes.
avast! is the best. I highly recommend that. Big Grin
Panda Cloud is the lightest by huge amounts. There's no arguments on that. Reason for this is that it doesn't use signatures, instead it connects to page where signatures are stored. You never need to update signatures.
In comparison, the next lightest I know of, ESET, uses about 40mb of Ram. Cloud uses less than 1mb.
I recommend combining Cloud with Threatfire for extra protection against zero day exploits, and behavior blocking.
I haven't used AV software for years on my Windows boxes. Guess I'm just lucky.
(2010-06-27, 01:04 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't used AV software for years on my Windows boxes. Guess I'm just lucky.

I'm the same. I have a firewall, no bad sites. No downloads. But having clients does involve me putthing their hdd's and stuff like that in my comp, so i have to have something,..
Pages: 1 2 3