MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Chown Gets 403 Forbidden
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just chowned my /home/admin to admin:
chown -R root:root /home/admin
And my sites are all 403 forbidden now.
Does anyone know how I can revert this? Thanks!
You changed the group and user to root which I'm assuming is password protected, hence the 403. To revert it, perform the same command, however instead of root:root change it to the group and user it was before.

Best Regards.
I meant I chowned it as admin:admin, and no matter what use - it still shows the same error.
I tried root:root, admin:root, root:admin, all of them recursive, only root, only admin - nothing.
Any idea as to what group root would belong to? Or maybe try nobody?
Are you using a control panel?

Or, is this for a local host?
This is on a server, and I'm using Putty (ssh).
(2010-06-28, 02:58 AM)Infranight Wrote: [ -> ]I meant I chowned it as admin:admin, and no matter what use - it still shows the same error.
I tried root:root, admin:root, root:admin, all of them recursive, only root, only admin - nothing.
Any idea as to what group root would belong to? Or maybe try nobody?

The group and user were created by you (or someone else) when the server was setup. Let's find them.

Open up your httpd.conf file and find:

User

and

Group

Beside each one the name of the user and group will reside. Once located, add them to your chown command:

chown -R user:group /home/admin

If you still receive a 403 after running the chown command, also run:

chmod -R ### /path/to/htdocs

Change the # to the permissions necessary. I usually set the perms to 750 based on the way I set things up.
Best Regards.
Thanks, I found the user and that worked perfectly!
(2010-06-28, 03:09 AM)Infranight Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I found the user and that worked perfectly!

Glad I could help. Smile