MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please open a "Third Party Integrations" forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I just posted on another thread but thought the actual suggestion I made might be noticed better here.

I quote myself:

Quote:Please open a "Third Party Integrations" forum in the "MyBB Resources" category, I'm sure this will build momentum towards the project, not from the inside but from the outside of this community, making it bigger and more present in other communities.

The purpose this forum would serve is to help other developers from any other project to know how to get the most out of MyBB into their own stuff: developers from projects like Wordpress, Drupal, e107, and even independent custom development.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

David
The community and staff are in no inhibiting third party integration. We just don't have people willing to develop a bridge for it. It seems many share my view that it's not that great of a cms.

Many are starting to learn that the mybb template system can actually be used pretty well for smaller sites if you don't mind editing straight html.

There was a bridge for Wordpress but development has been slow. And, there is one for drupal and another one being developed for it.

On topic note though I don't think it's a bad idea just don't know if warrants a whole forum.
there are a lot of integration questions though, so if not a dedicated forum, perhaps a subforum somewhere?
@Alex

I'm in no way trying to imply that, I'm just saying there is no place for that kind of developer conversations, not that it should be some kind of tech support the staff should look for.

Regarding the CMS matter, it all depends on each and everyone's individual needs. I like the convenience of Joomla, others like the technical superiority of Drupal, others the simplicity of Wordpress. If one tries to impose a solution then one becomes something like Microsoft.

This would be a place more dedicated to external developers asking questions on very specific stuff.

@pavemen

I don't think it should have lesser importance, making it a subforum would decrease its visibility. I thought it might be a subforum for "Plugins and Code modifications", however, bridges/integrations might not have to do much with plugins or code modifications (a good integration shouldn't imply hacking MyBB).

Regards,

David
(2010-06-28, 04:35 PM)dukeofgaming Wrote: [ -> ]@Alex

I'm in no way trying to imply that, I'm just saying there is no place for that kind of developer conversations, not that it should be some kind of tech support the staff should look for.

Then I do apologize Blush.

And I think a sub-forum of the plugins would be good. Because, the best bridge would probably take part with the plugin system (or what ever modification system the CMS uses depending how you want it to work). Also using the plugin system for a bridge isn't really hacking as it wouldn't require any core edit.
Hey David, I think you have a valid point here and I will raise it to the staff. When I think about it I also wonder why we don't have any forum on this as I seen thousands of threads and tutorials on integrating MyBB with all sorts of CMS's.
Yeah from my point of view David had a good idea, a sub-forum with all the integration with CMS/wiki etc. would be really useful not only for developers but also from users searching a bridge solution.
(2010-06-28, 07:30 PM)Dennis Tsang Wrote: [ -> ]Let's see how it goes:
http://community.mybb.com/forum-132.html

Wow, this was fast move Toungue. But, I guess it's one of those things that are easy to change if doesn't go as planned.
(2010-06-28, 07:43 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-06-28, 07:30 PM)Dennis Tsang Wrote: [ -> ]Let's see how it goes:
http://community.mybb.com/forum-132.html

Wow, this was fast move Toungue. But, I guess it's one of those things that are easy to change if doesn't go as planned.

Yeah doesn't take long to press the big red delete button Smile
Pages: 1 2