MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mixing 2 databases ( a problem that needs a pro expert )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi ,

My problem isn't in your files or anything concerning the version , I just want to do something that I think is going to be so hard . If this isn't the right place to post this , please move it to the right place .

The Problem is :
I have a backup of a database of a MyBB forum which is one month old and I have another backup of the same database which is 1 day old . Now I can't get to the database which is one day old except after 1 month , so I had to use the old backup which is one month old , during this month , almost 100 people registered and some threads were typed .

so , what I want to do is :
After being able to reach the new database after 1 month , is there a way that I could add the information which exist in it and doesn't exist in the old database to that database (like combining the 2 databases with overwriting or skipping similar users and posts) ??

I think that's going to be a good challenge for MySQL and PHP experts . If it's not possible , I think I'll have to take information of the nearly 100 members and add them to the database manually Big Grin .

Thanks
Alwahsh
Why can you only access it after a month? Anyways, this wont be possible if you restore now with the one month old data, because if you restore a month from now it will over-write the existing data. If you we're to not drop all the existing tables and restore that could possibly cause even more issues. There really isn't a way to do what you need to do, unless you want to go and redo a bunch of stuff in the .sql file, which would take too long to even be useful.

The question still remains, why can't you access the database now. If you can backup to the database you should be able to retrieve information from it. Not sure why you would want to backup to something and only have it useful after a month.

On another note, you could make it act as a forum merge and merge the two "forums" together. Not sure how MyBB's merge system will handle that, but it might be worth a shot.
(2010-07-02, 09:14 PM)Brains Wrote: [ -> ]Why can you only access it after a month? Anyways, this wont be possible if you restore now with the one month old data, because if you restore a month from now it will over-write the existing data. If you we're to not drop all the existing tables and restore that could possibly cause even more issues. There really isn't a way to do what you need to do, unless you want to go and redo a bunch of stuff in the .sql file, which would take too long to even be useful.

The question still remains, why can't you access the database now. If you can backup to the database you should be able to retrieve information from it. Not sure why you would want to backup to something and only have it useful after a month.

On another note, you could make it act as a forum merge and merge the two "forums" together. Not sure how MyBB's merge system will handle that, but it might be worth a shot.

well , I can't access the MySQL database for a certain reason but I can assure you I really can't access it now although I'm trying . As for the solution of the forum merge , I think I'll check that , and I hope it works
I think doing a MyBB > MyBB merge is going to be your best option. Doing it manually is going to be messy and difficult.
(2010-07-03, 09:41 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]I think doing a MyBB > MyBB merge is going to be your best option. Doing it manually is going to be messy and difficult.

I checked the merge system but I didn't find out how to do a Mybb > Mybb Merge , from the screen shots , you can only merge from other forums or Mybb1.2 .
Seems the screenshot on the Wiki is outdated. MyBB 1.4 is one of the options for the source forum... you can't merge MyBB 1.2 with 1.4, just 1.4 and 1.4.
(2010-07-03, 05:07 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Seems the screenshot on the Wiki is outdated. MyBB 1.4 is one of the options for the source forum... you can't merge MyBB 1.2 with 1.4, just 1.4 and 1.4.

that looks great but what if there is a reply to a thread in the first database and another reply to the same thread in the new database , which one would be put first ??

and will it work if there are many similar threads and members in the 2 databases ?? I mean will it ignore similar data ??
Oh, I didn't read the rest of the thread, merge system wouldn't really work with this.

I'm confused about what data you do and don't have access to though. Do you have the day old backup or not?? First you said you had a 1 day old backup but then that you didn't have access to it... can you clarify exactly what's going on??
And how would you have the same thread in both databases, yet, different replies. Huh
(2010-07-03, 05:18 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I didn't read the rest of the thread, merge system wouldn't really work with this.

I'm confused about what data you do and don't have access to though. Do you have the day old backup or not?? First you said you had a 1 day old backup but then that you didn't have access to it... can you clarify exactly what's going on??

ok , look . My website is banned on a certain host and I can't access cpanel unless after 1 month . and the most recent backup is 1 month old .
Pages: 1 2