MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help, Overload of shared resources letter from GoDaddy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got home and found this letter. I am unsure what to do about it. I don't think we are taking up much resources at all. We have 210 members but only about a dozen active. Can one of the more experienced members please advise me what I should do. I do not know what optimizing the PHP application means.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Dear Sir/Madam,

It has come to our attention that your .com hosting account was causing an overload of the shared resources on this server. This, in turn, affects the server performance for other customers. Unfortunately, we are not able to troubleshoot custom scripting and therefore, we are not able to provide specific solutions. Please optimize the PHP application within this web hosting account under test load in a development environment.

Continued over-utilization of the shared resources of the server may result in action including, but not limited to, the disabling of the offending services/processes or the suspension of services for that domain. If you have questions about this matter, you may contact us by replying to this email or by calling 480-505-8871.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

Please contact us with any questions regarding this matter.

Regards,
Amanda W.
Hosting Support
What plugins do you have?? A crowded server is the cause so you may need to disable some plugins if they'd be increasing load.
Hi Matt,

Just got off the phone with GoDaddy. He said our PHP scripting is too heavy for the shared server. He suggested I see if the 1.6 release is less PHP intensive and if not then his only answer would be to move to a dedicated server. He could offer me one for $1,550 yearly. Argh!

Here is a list of active Plugins:
Steven's Direct Plugin Manager.
Ad Randomizer
Akismet
Newpoints
Spicefuse Shoutbox
Text Ads Plugin
Thankyou/Like
Youtube BBcode

Here is a list of ones uploaded but not activated: (can they still cause problems?)
EasterEgg Hunt
Hello World
Member of Week/Month
Sidebox
Side Boxes
Snowstorm

Thanks for your help Matt, the Godaddy guy said that we could be shutdown without much more notice if it keeps up.

Cynthia
My suggestion would be to change hosts. MyBB is optimised perfectly fine, other people run xx,xxx post forums on shared hosts, 1.6 hasn't made any big changes to optimisation as none are necessary. It's completely ludicrous to suggest a dedicated server at that cost with a forum of your size. Shoutboxes usually don't help load but I would seriously suggest finding a new home for your site. GoDaddy, along with 000webhost, are one of the most problematic hosts we have to deal with. It sounds like they've overselling and making you deal with the consequences of that.
Thanks for your time again Matt.
I have taken the shoutbox down for the time being. I have no idea if this will be enough to shut them up but I hope so. The site is running a few contests and it would be such a drag to lose service while the activities are running. We will begin the search for a more accomodating host.
Cheers,
Cynthia
If I can suggest one, HostGator is pretty good. Their support is about as good as you can get.
With HostGator you'll get a 403 error in the ACP caused by mod_security, however they're usualy very quick to fix it, they just need to whitelist you against mod_security, and the problem itself is fixed in MyBB 1.6.
change the host.
cheap does not mean good Smile
Your forum should do fine on any plan at http://theforumforge.com. $1,550 is COMPLETELY ridiculous and I smell a scam. GoDaddy is a domain register not a hosting company. I would go with someone that focuses on hosting. How many unique hits per day do you get?
Hi Guys and thanks for the suggestions.
I will certainly go look at forumforge. From what I can guage it seems the term "Deluxe Hosting Package" is bandied about rather loosely with many of these sites. We fell for it once but will not do so again. As for unique hits per day question I am guessing at around 40 give or take.

Ta,
Cynthia