MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it a bad idea to change nameservers on the weekend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2010-07-04, 04:27 AM)Reserector Wrote: [ -> ]What's wrong with IE7? Seems to work fine. Care to enlighten me?

Outdated, buggy, bad support. Though it shouldn't affect this much. If it did run CCleaner.
(2010-07-04, 04:27 AM)Reserector Wrote: [ -> ]What's wrong with IE7? Seems to work fine. Care to enlighten me?
Not going to bother *sigh*.

lol!
Just a question about nameservers. Say you have 2 hosting accounts; one main and one backup. If you set the first two nameservers for the main account and the other two as the backup. If the main account was down would it then resolve to the backup one?
(2010-07-04, 11:32 AM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Just a question about nameservers. Say you have 2 hosting accounts; one main and one backup. If you set the first two nameservers for the main account and the other two as the backup. If the main account was down would it then resolve to the backup one?

I don't think so, because the host hosting the main account would have to have their DNS servers to go down. If just your box went down it wouldn't affect anything.
Meh ok I won't bother trying :p
(2010-07-04, 11:32 AM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Just a question about nameservers. Say you have 2 hosting accounts; one main and one backup. If you set the first two nameservers for the main account and the other two as the backup. If the main account was down would it then resolve to the backup one?

Yes, it would. Essentially, if the first two NAMESERVERS were down (assuming the NSes were on the same server as the one that hosts your site, which is quite commonplace), your system would try and resolve from the other available nameservers.

Basically, this would work, but only if you had your nameservers for your main site on the same server as that site.

There are also all sorts of other DNS services which can failover your site within minutes if they detect downtime, automatically change records etc until the point where the site which was down becomes available. DNS Made Easy is great at doing this, and I highly recommend it.
(2010-07-04, 03:17 AM)Bob Jansen Wrote: [ -> ]Usually takes 5 minutes - 1 hours for me. Not sure where you guys live Toungue.

It's up your DNS servers (so usually your ISPs DNS). I use open dns though and it seems to be a lot quicker plus you can always request to have certain domains updated more quickly Wink.
Pages: 1 2