MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does warning system disabled here ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Does warning system disabled here at mybb community forums ?
We have stopped user's being able to view their own warning levels. This will hopefully mean that people will be less likely to complain when they get a warning. Warnings will be used in a more personal manner which will seem less offensive to the recipient and people can't dodge bans by trolling until they get 90% then stopping.
(2010-07-04, 11:27 AM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]We have stopped user's being able to view their own warning levels. This will hopefully mean that people will be less likely to complain when they get a warning. Warnings will be used in a more personal manner which will seem less offensive to the recipient and people can't dodge bans by trolling until they get 90% then stopping.

I think that's not a good way to stop this option. User's must be able to know about their warnings and if they know about it, they will keep them stop behaving negatively...

Any way, its your forum, deal with it as you want.

CLOSE THIS THREAD as I fear of being another debate which seems to be start...

Thank You for your reply.
Not disabled. I personally had 3 or 4 warnings that expired
We plan to use the warning system purely for logging warnings rather than issuing them (waring will be done via PM) and as such we felt it would be better for peoples warnings to be hidden to them. This will also stop people trying to evade bans by playing their warning levels and personally I don't think your warning level shouldn't effect your behavior or your ability to follow the rules.
(2010-07-04, 11:51 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Not disabled. I personally had 3 or 4 warnings that expired

If you look in your postbit you will see that you cannot see your warning level anymore. As said above, the MyBB team thought it would be a good idea to not tell people how close they are to being banned, but you will still receive a PM of your warning, you just won't be told how close you are to a punishment.,
Then what is the whole point of the warning system in MYBB?

I would think the ones who develop it would make the best use out of it? I understand the issue you all mention but still that defeats the whole purpose of the system? Not to mention how this could be exploited by anyone on the team and YES it can and does happen at alot of places and why most use the warning system. The warning system safeguards against abuse from staff members who could have a bias towards a user/users. Not saying you all would do this but there could be some who question it. Smile
I believe the main point of the warning system is to warn people on their journey towards an eventual ban. How they see their warnings (pm or warning page) doesn't really matter.
(2010-07-04, 04:12 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe the main point of the warning system is to warn people on their journey towards an eventual ban. How they see their warnings (pm or warning page) doesn't really matter.

Point is the warning system showed that user what their warning level is at. Now it is a guessing game and that could present some problems as well. Plus it is not the greatest advertising for the warn system here. Again why have it if you all are not gonna use it yourselves as it was intended? Am i to assume the warning system itself is gonna be changed in a future release such as 2.0?

Perhaps the system could use some improvement though. Personally i like your idea for the same reasons ( people pulling the same on my site ) but if i tried it i KNOW i would never hear the end of it. So maybe we can figure out how to improve the system? What do you all think? Smile

EDIT.. Just thought of something..

Is it possible to make it so warns don't expire till AFTER the ban? Something along those lines but i think you guys understand what i am asking. Unsure if this would put too much load though on the system?
We're just trying this out and seeing how it goes.

Noting that it took this long for someone to recognize the change and talk about it shows us that it is a change that most people accept.
Pages: 1 2 3 4