MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Easy way?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey.

So I'm making a new website, which I'm going to use a database from an old site that I had that matches the same genre as the new site will be. I've gone through and deleted the things I don't want to keep, such as announcements and introductions and unwanted sections etc, but there's still something that I know will bug me.

Is there any easy way of replacing a single word throughout the whole forum? Example, say there is the word "cat" on most of the posts in the forum, is there a way to go through and automatically change it from "cat" to "dog" without having to manually edit it? Same for sentences etc..

Any help would be really great, thanks guys.
You could open the database up in Notepad++ and use the the replace function, but that could replace more than you want. It wouldn't hurt if you tried though, just create a backup of the original.
That's a good idea, and I just tried that then. It said it replaced 1150 or so occurences, so I don't think that was what I wanted, as it was a lot.

But then the weirder thing was that it didn't want to upload back, kept giving me an error.
Apply a word filter in the admin panel.
(2010-07-05, 02:01 AM)iBf Wrote: [ -> ]Apply a word filter in the admin panel.

Holy piss, greatest idea of the day award goes to him. I never would have thought of that.
It struck me instantly as simplest idea. I thought everyone would of thought of that.
iBf I wish you said that first, haha. Ah well, I just went through with the first idea and used phpMyAdmin and NotePad++ to edit everything and replace it, apart from a small cookie problem it worked. But to avoid that now I guess I'll redo it and just use the word filter. Smile
just phpMyAdmin will be been fine:
UPDATE mybb_posts SET message = replace(message,"cat","dog");
Thanks Patrick, I could've tried that too.
It's fixed now, /thread.