MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Lang Editing Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running MyBB 1.4.13.

I can edit some language files no problem from the admin cp, but certain language files give me problems. When I saved my changes on global.lang.php, for example, I got a 500 internal server error. newthread.lang.php does this as well. When I went to check my server's error log, there was nothing to be displayed. I tried to FTP the edits and it seemed to work at first. Then I logged out of my account and got this nasty warning:

[Image: err.gif]

Those certain files don't seem to work if they're changed the slightest from what they were at initial installation. I found that a couple of plug-ins seem to do this too with templates. I have to uninstall the plug-in, include my template edits, then reinstall.

Sorry if this isn't much help.
There's an error in ./inc/languages/english/global.lang.php, reuplaod a fresh copy of it. What text editor are you using to edit the file??
I have uploaded a fresh copy a couple of times throughout my testing of this. Generally I use Notepad, but sometimes Crimson Editor. For this instance, I used Notepad. I've tried and tested this a couple of times with a variety of edits. My last test consisted of me editing a single character in global.lang.php from a "t" to a "s" and it was actually the edit I used to capture the screen shot posted above. I'm only editing the language values and I have escaped what was necessary to escape in the past. Again, this last test was a single character change. MyBB won't accept ANYTHING but the default global.lang.php it seems...
It's nothing to do with MyBB not 'accepting' it in any way at all, you'd get this with any software, it's a problem with notepad, it adds invisible characters to the top of the file which are then treated as output before the headers are sent, hence the error. Use a different editor, wordpad or notepad++ or something, and you'll be fine.
That makes sense. I'll have to do it that way since I can't seem to figure out why I'm getting the 500 errors. I just installed a fresh MyBB 1.4.13 on a different server and didn't encounter the problem. While I can't provide anything from my server's error log to help, is there anything you can tell me that might cause something like that to happen?
A 500 is a very generic error and could be caused by loads of things, maybe something on your host's end; I wouldn't have thought this error would lead to a 500 error.
Thanks for your help. I can live with FTP'ing the edits because contacting my server takes too long. Thanks again.