MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Gentoo.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Oh thats right lol
Meh. Linux distro's all look the same to me. They just have different packages and brand names. Bit like pizza.
(2010-07-08, 08:39 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Meh. Linux distro's all look the same to me. They just have different packages and brand names. Bit like pizza.

In a lot of ways they are the same. Thats why with a little knowledge you can take packages written for a specific distro and modify them for another without too much hassle. Wink

Some are better maintained than others though. I personally prefer Mandriva and Fedora. I'm madly in love with Mandriva's PowerPack.
I'm enjoying PCLinux 2010 for now, but may give Mint 9 a try out.
(2010-07-08, 08:39 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Meh. Linux distro's all look the same to me. They just have different packages and brand names. Bit like pizza.

I agree. Most Distros are the same. Gentoo though is not one of them xD

(2010-07-08, 08:47 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]

In a lot of ways they are the same. Thats why with a little knowledge you can take packages written for a specific distro and modify them for another without too much hassle. Wink

Some are better maintained than others though. I personally prefer Mandriva and Fedora. I'm madly in love with Mandriva's PowerPack.

How'd that turn out by the way? Mandriva being sold i mean.

(2010-07-08, 09:44 PM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]I'm enjoying PCLinux 2010 for now, but may give Mint 9 a try out.

Mint is crap. Its Ubuntu with two or three features.
(2010-07-08, 09:56 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-08, 09:44 PM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]I'm enjoying PCLinux 2010 for now, but may give Mint 9 a try out.

Mint is crap. Its Ubuntu with two or three features.

LOL, one of the tech's at my school gave me Mint on a CD to boot an ancient laptop Smile Lets just say it has a small footprint....
All Linux distros are almost identical, the only major difference is package management. I mean, all the window managers work on the systems...but it's great for tech support since nearly every system is the same, so it is easy to troubleshoot.
(2010-07-09, 01:00 AM)Sleepwalker Wrote: [ -> ]All Linux distros are almost identical, the only major difference is package management. I mean, all the window managers work on the systems...but it's great for tech support since nearly every system is the same, so it is easy to troubleshoot.

Not true, only forks are like that. Many have kernal edits too Toungue
@Mark.M Nothing major though. I very rarely have issues on one distro that I cannot cure on another distro with the same method.
(2010-07-09, 01:16 AM)Sleepwalker Wrote: [ -> ]@Mark.M Nothing major though. I very rarely have issues on one distro that I cannot cure on another distro with the same method.

I quite commonly have more drivers on RHEL based distros then i do on Debian ones i find.
Pages: 1 2 3