MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Attachment as File instead of Database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

first of all: Great work, mybb is the best free Forum-Software (Now that Invision is gone pay-only).

I have a suggestion for the next/final version (By the way: Any time-line for 1.0 Final ?):

Save attachments as files instead of saving into the mysql database.

vBulletin has the same option since 3.X. And I still don't get the point why attachments are saved in the database in first place. Ok...when you backup your database you got the whole stuff (All Pictures for ex.). But I would rather backup seperatly (Data/Postings mysql, pics/avatars/attachments ftp).

Also not everybody has a unlimited mysql database. I only got 5 MB mysql but 500 MB Webspace...with 30 Pics and 10 Postings my Database would allready be full Big Grin.
I was going to use MyBB for my forum, but as soon as I realized it stores attachments in the DB, I had to give up: the phpBB forum I decided to convert had 180 MB of attachments and my DB can't be bigger than 50MB.

I have unlimited web space, but just 50MB for the DB, thus I can't use MyBB. Are you going to manage this in the near future? Otherwise I'll have to mod it myself, though I don't know when...
If anyone attempts to do this and it works, I'd like the modification as well Big Grin
Don't quote me on this yet, but I'm pretty sure that attachments are going to be stored as files in gold rather than in the database. Smile
Is there any way of doing this in RC4?
Musicalmidget Wrote:Don't quote me on this yet, but I'm pretty sure that attachments are going to be stored as files in gold rather than in the database. Smile

Oops, I quoted ya Toungue
It would be a big plus for me to have this done as well.....and a temporary fix in the meantime would be much appreciated.
yes, this would be handy.

MM, you should know, your one of the developers :/
Quote:Don't quote me on this yet, but I'm pretty sure that attachments are going to be stored as files in gold rather than in the database
I'll quote you on it, because its correct. Smile

Quote:MM, you should know, your one of the developers :/
MM hasn't actually seen the code for Gold yet because I want to finish the features which I have half done before I put it up in a development area where we can both work on it.
Chris Boulton Wrote:
Quote:Don't quote me on this yet, but I'm pretty sure that attachments are going to be stored as files in gold rather than in the database
I'll quote you on it, because its correct. Smile
Yay, is it chooseable or default (can you switch between database or is it set to not database attachments??)

Chris Boulton Wrote:
Quote:MM, you should know, your one of the developers :/
MM hasn't actually seen the code for Gold yet because I want to finish the features which I have half done before I put it up in a development area where we can both work on it.
Ah ok. Have you already got you beta testing list cause Im willing to help you again if you would like.
Just curious, how big the DB that this forum here is right now (I now that people make lots of attachments). Must be HUGE!
Pages: 1 2