MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Free Whois protection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
That's cool. But people are saying they can steal my domain. How exactly does that work? I'd put my info rather than losing my domain.
(2010-07-09, 05:09 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]Most registrars I've dealt with (New Dream, Name, NameCheap) provide it for free. You're all just used to GoDaddy's crap.

I do regret using Godaddy.
Using fake info can lead to your domain being deleted by the registrar. Basically (it's been a while, a little rusty on the domain side of things, but...):

1.) someone reports that the info. is false to the registrar or to InterNIC
2.) if InterNIC, they notify the registrar
3.) registrar notifies the registrant (you), giving you x amount of time to make any corrections or to confirm info is correct
4.) if info is incorrect, and it's not corrected - domain is deleted
lmao I just got this email from GoDaddy after I finished reading this thread.

[Image: capture.png]

They keep spamming me to go check my info, which I've already done.
NameCheap offers free WHOIS Guard protection. And yes, it is illegal to have inaccurate WHOIS information.
Alright, I got that. If I need Whois, I'll definitely go for name or namecheap.

But again, how can registrars steal my domains if I activate whois guard protection?
The owner of the domain is whoever is listed as the admin of the domain. Make sure the admin e-mail is your e-mail or you will not be able to transfer your domain or provide valid proof of ownership.
If my whois protection wasn't free I wouldn't bother with it. There's nothing any of you could do with my address (that would bother me) that isn't illegal anyway.
I have about 16 unused whois protection things from Namecheap. I only use them on select sites so most of them just expire.
(2010-07-10, 09:32 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]If my whois protection wasn't free I wouldn't bother with it. There's nothing any of you could do with my address (that would bother me) that isn't illegal anyway.

I could show up on your doorstep next time i'm in vancouver.
Pages: 1 2 3