MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mass mail 'spammed' my users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I sent my first mass mail to my users today. I have my settings using my Gmail account to email.

My users have reported getting at least 20 mass mails (same one) from me.

I did the following...

Created the mass mailing.

It seemed to not have been deployed, but sat in a type of queue.

So I went to the task Manager and clicked the icon to run it.

I assumed that it sat in a queue until such time to be deployed and that by going to the task manager, I could click it to runr straight away.

Is that not correct?

I'm a former vBulletin user and I use to creating the email, and clicking SEND and having it go out straight away.

Anyways, why would it send out 20+ to each user?

Perhaps to using Gmail SMTP over PHP Mailer?

Thanks,
Do any of your users have a comma in their username??
No, none of them have a comma.

(p.s. Can a MOD set my user name to simply Carlos, or CarlosC?0
Ah yeah, sorry about your messed up username, aftermath of an upgrade or something a while ago. Carlos is taken, is the second on 'CarlosC?0' ?? Just to make sure.

The way the task system and mass mail task runs is the mail is queued until the task is run; it's triggered by code in the footer template when people view the forum, it check if there are new tasks and runs them. With mass mail it sends 50 each time, or whatever you set the 'per page' setting to, so that they don't all get sent out at once which could slow the forum down or exceed host mail limits. Certainly shouldn't send 20 times to the same people though; can you post the usernames of the people who have got it multiple times?? Just to see if there's anything in the names that's tripping it up.