MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Usernames with ] ruins quotes.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, some usernames on my website contain the character "]". When this user is quoted in a post, it ruins the layout. An example is here: http://kh13.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=...#pid182952

What can I do about this?

Also, where is the template for quotes? I cannot find it in templates or languages.
Looks fine to me. Have you tried a different browser?
(2010-07-10, 07:25 AM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks fine to me. Have you tried a different browser?

Yes, it's not the browser.

It should display "F[riend] Wrote"

But instead it just says "F[r Wrote:" and puts "iend' pid='182947' dateline='1278700715']" within the quote.
Sorry got the wrong end of the stick Toungue

That's very strange, never seen anything like that before. Give me a sec and I'll try it out on my test forum.
I think this is just a limit of the parser, and one that would be very difficult to overcome simply because of the way the regular expression used works. I suggest you just prevent people from using [ and ] in their names by going ACP > Users & Groups > Banning > disallowed usernames and adding *]* and *[* then change that guys username.
(2010-07-10, 07:36 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is just a limit of the parser, and one that would be very difficult to overcome simply because of the way the regular expression used works. I suggest you just prevent people from using [ and ] in their names by going ACP > Users & Groups > Banning > disallowed usernames and adding *]* and *[* then change that guys username.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess if it is impossible, I will have to do this. Also thanks Polarbear541.
Yeah it's not a theme issue. It's just the way the parser works as Tim said.

Feel free to submit it as a bug here: http://dev.mybboard.net to see what the developers can do about it.
Thanks a lot. How about my other question, where is it possible to edit the template for quotes?
Also, this is unrelated, but where can I find the {$lightbulb['altonoff']} variable?
The quote template is in postbit_quote.

And the lightbulb one is in the forumbit templates Smile
(2010-07-10, 08:55 AM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]The quote template is in postbit_quote.

And the lightbulb one is in the forumbit templates Smile

postbit_quote is the little button that allows you to quote a post, I'm talking about the template which determines how a quote is displayed.

Same as the lightbulb one, I'm wondering where the code within that template is, I don't mean where the template is included.

Thanks though.
Pages: 1 2