MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Creating a Theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok. I have a few questions about creating a theme.

A: What software should I use? I have photoshop
B: If I make it on photoshop what do I do with it then?
C: What are the dimensions for the parts of the theme?
D: WHat do I make apart from the big bit at the top?

Lol I am a nubcake
A. You only make images on photoshop... themes are mainly HTML/CSS...
B. Not sure what you mean, you make images in photoshop, so you just upload those images...
C. Whatever you want, it can be fluid width.
D. Everything?? You can customise all CSS classes and any templates you want. And you don't need to make the 'big bit at the top', that's just part of our site...

Undecided
So what are the average dimensions?

SO i can make it in photoshop then upload it the use it on the forum?
You don't make a theme entirely in photoshop. It's not one giant image. Look at how the default theme is made. There's HTML in templates, which usually don't get changed when you make themes, and there's stylesheets with CSS, which is where most of the changes are made. You only use photoshop if you want to make custom images, like the postbit buttons, or the table headers etc.

And there are no 'average dimensions'. If you want to make it a fixed width theme, make it a fixed width theme. If you want to make it a fluid width theme, make it a fluid width theme.

Sounds like you don't fully understand what a theme is or what you're trying to do here.
Yes, if you don't know XHTML and CSS don't even bother trying. You can learn them both here:

http://www.w3schools.com
(2010-07-11, 03:45 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, if you don't know XHTML and CSS don't even bother trying. You can learn them both here:

http://www.w3schools.com

OK
So if I just like make the big header thing at the very top of the forums do I upload it somehow?
Or the read / unread icon?
You could do the un/read icons easily. As for the header, if you want buttons you'll need to know HTML.
I think what i mean by header is the board logo
Oh, well, then you can do both of those things via FTP.
I now know about CSS
Where do I make it?
Pages: 1 2