MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Increase maximum attachment size?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Just installed a new copy of myBB 1.4 over the past few hours, and all seems to be going well, but I've hit one small problem.

Is there a way to increase the maximum *total* attachment size for a post? I've been through the AdminCP, and have found how to alter the size for individual atts., but can't increase the max size for a post.

For instance, I needed to increase the max. size for a JPG attachment to 2Mb, but cannot increase the overall 2mb limit, so my members can only add one file to a message. I know that this will increase the size of my database somewhat, but that's not a real issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
There's a 'Maximum Attachments Per Post' setting in the Posting settings and the attachment quota for users in the usergroup settings, but there's not a limit in MB or anything for each post... the only thing it could be is the Max Upload / POST Size which is a host setting, however that should only apply to each individual upload...
(2010-07-12, 05:58 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]There's a 'Maximum Attachments Per Post' setting in the Posting settings and the attachment quota for users in the usergroup settings, but there's not a limit in MB or anything for each post... the only thing it could be is the Max Upload / POST Size which is a host setting, however that should only apply to each individual upload...

Many thanks for that - I've just checked with my hosting company, and in the php settings summary, there is a "max_post_size" category, set at 2Mb. Might have to find a more generous host ...

Cheers,

Matt
My shared host has a limit of 16M; 2 is quite low. See if they can raise it before searching for a new host, some hosts will raise the limit Smile
I did think that 2M seemed awfully low. I've just banged off a support ticket to them - will see what happens.

It's not the end of the world if they can't/won't amend it - I'll think of a way around it!

Cheers

Matt
Many hosting company are allowing you to increase this limit to some maximum value they set in a personal "php.ini" file located in the same directory as the php script using it.

Here is an extract of this value that you can modify in your own php.ini file :

Quote:post_max_size integer
Sets max size of post data allowed. This setting also affects file upload. To upload large files, this value must be larger than upload_max_filesize.

If memory limit is enabled by your configure script, memory_limit also affects file uploading. Generally speaking, memory_limit should be larger than post_max_size.

When an integer is used, the value is measured in bytes. You may also use shorthand notation as described in this FAQ.

If the size of post data is greater than post_max_size, the $_POST and $_FILES superglobals are empty. This can be tracked in various ways, e.g. by passing the $_GET variable to the script processing the data, i.e. <form action="edit.php?processed=1">, and then checking if $_GET['processed'] is set.