MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Dual Boot help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, i have windows 7 and ubuntu 10.04 installed using GRUB as the bootloader. However I want to delete Ubuntu and let windows consume the other partition. How on earth do I:

A) Get windows to format the other partition (which it cant see as its an ubuntu journal partition...) and then merge the two partitions.

B) Use the Windows Bootloader as the default bootloader? (As deleting ubuntu will simply render my boot useless..... As there will be no bootloader....
http://saysprasad.wordpress.com/2008/07/...ootloader/

It's for xp but I would imagine the commands to restore boot properties haven't changed Big Grin.

Regarding the partitions you may need to use something other than the default windows partition manager. Personally I've always liked partition magic Wink.
I cheat, i don't like touching windows files. I delete Ubuntu via Gparted, make a 5gb windows partition, install xp to override the bootloader.
Although i'd install grub again anyways, because its must better then the windows one find.
LOL, i dont really wanna re-install (or do you just mean install a small XP on its own partition then delete it?)

grub has compatibility issues with W7 Sad
Boot into a Windows recovery disc and you can fix it by command line or via an automated process I think.

When you finally get into Windows, find a partition manager that will let you delete the Ubuntu Partition and then resize the Windows Partition (I use Paragon Partition Manager).

Word of advice for next time though, next time you dual boot with Linux, boot into Windows immediately and use EasyBCD to restore the Windows boot editor to default, that way when you delete the linux partition you still have the Windows bootloader.
Read my blog article, it explains what to do after you delete the Ubuntu partition and you can't boot:

http://lastcode.net/blog/fixing-boot-grub-deletion/
(2010-07-13, 08:21 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]LOL, i dont really wanna re-install (or do you just mean install a small XP on its own partition then delete it?)

grub has compatibility issues with W7 Sad

the latter.
Run "fixboot" and "fixmbr" in the recovery console