MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to block search engines from indexing my forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I block search engines from indexing my forum?
Make a file called "robots.txt" in your root directory, then add:

User-Agent: *
Disallow: /
I'd just like to state thats a stupid thing to do.
This i mean
vvvv

(2010-07-15, 03:03 AM)morpia Wrote: [ -> ]How do I block search engines from indexing my forum?
(2010-07-15, 03:28 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]I'd just like to state thats a stupid thing to do.

There may be some specific needs for people. It is not necessarily stupid all the time
(2010-07-15, 09:11 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-15, 03:28 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]I'd just like to state thats a stupid thing to do.

There may be some specific needs for people. It is not necessarily stupid all the time

/.link in sig
Seriously, don't do this. You're not gonna get any members and your forum will most likely die within days.
This i mean
vvvv

(2010-07-15, 03:03 AM)morpia Wrote: [ -> ]How do I block search engines from indexing my forum?

Lol, ignorant kid is ignorant.

No, it's not stupid when there's a specific reason for doing so. But once again, I don't expect an ignorant kid as yourself to understand.

And no, I'm obviously not blocking the forum in my signature. No need to make false assumptions.
Wow, there was really no need to be rude to someone who's making a point.

What is your reason for stopping legit spiders indexing your site? They aren't doing any harm to you or your site.
(2010-07-15, 09:18 PM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, there was really no need to be rude to someone who's making a point.

What is your reason for stopping legit spiders indexing your site? They aren't doing any harm to you or your site.

Just as there is really no need to add an uncontributive comment in a support thread. And I wasn't being rude. I was merely being honest. If you're going to call something stupid when you don't even know the reason behind it, then you're ignorant.

As for my reason, that is none of your business. No, I'm not doing anything illegal, so don't make assumptions in that area.

I got the answer I needed from CAwesome (thanks very much btw), so this thread can be closed.
Really? Please show some respect for your fellow members guys!