MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how to use Merge system for test environment creation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I maintain relatively big site with >700,000 posts and >10,000 users on MyBB.
in peak times there is up to 300 users online.

now I want to upgrage MyBB to newest version (from 1.4.11 to 1.4.13), but I don't want to do it directly on production site without testing before. some plugins and translations are installed, own theme developed, some templates modified, own translation used, etc.
So, I want to duplicate production site to testing site, then test SW upgrade, and only after successful testing apply changes to production.

off course I know how to duplicate site manually, but this is not an easy task.

is there any way to use Merge System to do that semi-automatically ?

thanks.
To duplicate the site you would just need to export the DB. Reupload it in a different db and copy across the files to a different directory. All you would need to change then is the Board URL and cookie settings.

You could use the merge system but it seems kinda pointless if you just want to copy it Smile
(2010-07-16, 01:14 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]To duplicate the site you would just need to export the DB. Reupload it in a different db and copy across the files to a different directory. All you would need to change then is the Board URL and cookie settings.

You could use the merge system but it seems kinda pointless if you just want to copy it Smile

+1
(2010-07-16, 01:14 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]All you would need to change then is the Board URL and cookie settings.
actually it's not so easy as it sounds Wink. you change config.php, then you change settings.php, then you found that changes it settings.php doesn't take effect, you go to AdminCP and change it, and finally you lucky that you didn't make something wrong in original forum mixing it with test forum Wink
If you export the DB from your production site, just delete settings.php (FROM TESTING SITE) and Mybb will regenerate it.